ID this Opilionid

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This was found and photographed by my brother and I near Chichen Itza in December 06 (yeah go figure, we're at the world famous Mayan Pyramids and we end up looking for bugs...).

Legspan was a little over 2 inches. Can anybody hazard a guess as to what genus this guy belongs to? I have a bigger picture of that will help.

Attachments

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a Cynorta subserialis female. Good picture. Very cool looking animals. I've been trying to breed them in captivity for well over two years.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Crazy pic!
Oddly enough, you should see the pics from our honeymoon last year in the Mayan Riviera LOL. I'm kind of surprised my wife was still my wife when we got back LOL We went to this beautifully decorated Mayan recreation and she turns around to find me poking a giant beetle :p Many of our honeymoon pics are of "creepy crawlies" so when we show them to friends they just shake their heads {D

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crazy pic!
Oddly enough, you should see the pics from our honeymoon last year in the Mayan Riviera LOL. I'm kind of surprised my wife was still my wife when we got back LOL We went to this beautifully decorated Mayan recreation and she turns around to find me poking a giant beetle :p Many of our honeymoon pics are of "creepy crawlies" so when we show them to friends they just shake their heads {D
That is pure evil! :D *Makes mental note to do this on her honey moon* MWAHAHAHA!

@ Lucanidae: Thanks alot for the info! *Goes to learn more*

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is a Cynorta subserialis female. Good picture. Very cool looking animals. I've been trying to breed them in captivity for well over two years.

Cool, what are the identifying characteristics (if any of them would be visible to someone with a decent knowledge of arachnid anatomy)?

I take it you haven't had any luck breeding them? What is their life cycle like?

Black_Widow, I just took a look at your blog, that's one crazy looking Opilionid you found a pic of O_O. Glad I could help ya learn something :p

Arachnomaniak, that sounds like ALL my vacation photos to anywhere tropical :p. Haven't had a chance to do that on a honeymoon yet though, hopefully that won't happen for a while...

Last edited:

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Working to ID these is done all via microscope. Things you look at are tarsal segmentation, how many bumps and other formations are on the dorsal side, and the genital openings. Not much of this is viewable in these photos.

I had to borrow a book and find some papers to ID these to species, it took me about 6 months. Your picture just happened to be one of the species I am very familiar with.