id this arachno?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can i used Horti peat moss as subsrate?
I am not familiar with the brand. As long as it has no herbicides or fertilizers added, it should be fine. I use peat with all my critters.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do you feed mealworms?
I use some tiny mealworms for my smaller slings. I have a strain of them that only gets 1/2" or so. For adults I use either B. dubia roach nymphs or crickets, if the dubia numbers are somewhat down. I have heard of people using mega worms (zophoba) but if the T doesn't eat them a large beetle comes out of the ground a few weeks later, and thats just icky.

limz_777

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use some tiny mealworms for my smaller slings. I have a strain of them that only gets 1/2" or so. For adults I use either B. dubia roach nymphs or crickets, if the dubia numbers are somewhat down. I have heard of people using mega worms (zophoba) but if the T doesn't eat them a large beetle comes out of the ground a few weeks later, and thats just icky.
yeah , superworms does morph into beetles , i have search for Brachypelma albiceps' info , it does look like it , how can i make a positive ID?
can't find a care sheet for it too.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah , superworms does morph into beetles , i have search for Brachypelma albiceps' info , it does look like it , how can i make a positive ID?
can't find a care sheet for it too.
Caresheets are garbage. They usually make someone over complicate the husbandry process.

Keep it on dry peat with a wide and shallow water dish taht is full all the time. This will take care of the humidity and drinking water. Fill the tank/bin/kritter keeper with enough substrate so you will not have to warry about a fall. Put in a piece of bark or a half a flower pot or something for a hide. Feed it once a week with an appropriate sized food item. YOu can keep almost all terrestrial new world tarantulas like this.

You can also try looking up info on Brachypelma ruhnaui. The name was changd to albiceps not too long ago.

As for confirmation, I am not too sure on the actually physical characteristics that make a Brachypelma a Brachypelma. I am basically stating it looks dead on for B. albiceps. Maybe someone else can help you with that one.

Hope I have helped. How did you come across that beauty anyway?

Panic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like a ruhnaui to me. :D a very nice T. congrats :D

limz_777

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got it from a friend to take care of it , i am always been a snake keeper , know nothing about tarantulas ,sometimes care sheet can be untrue, dry peat will do , thats great , do i need to change it every week?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got it from a friend to take care of it , i am always been a snake keeper , know nothing about tarantulas ,sometimes care sheet can be untrue, dry peat will do , thats great , do i need to change it every week?
I only change the substrate if it gets moldy. Other than that it is fine. T's are very clean pets. If you don't want the tarantula, I'll take it :D.

limz_777

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i am beginning to enjoy this hairy beast , quite a hair flicker i must say. just check out his back. almost like a skinhead. how long does it take to grow back?

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
. just check out his back. almost like a skinhead. how long does it take to grow back?
It appears it will grow back really soon!! Notice how black the bald spot is? Thats the next "skin" growing underneath. In other words, that spider will be molting very soon. It will not eat until it molts. When it molts it will have no bald spot unless you start messing with it and get it to flick hairs.

limz_777

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
should i do anything to aid molting? no wonder he didn't ate the crickets , should i get rid of it?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dont do anything! Keep the crickets out! After about a week of molting it will start eating again.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
should i do anything to aid molting? no wonder he didn't ate the crickets , should i get rid of it?
You don't need ot get rid of it. Just be sure it has access to water and don't try to handle it or feed it until a week or two after the molt. You will see it lay on its back when it molts. This is normal. Don't touch the T or stress it in any way at this time, it could prove ot be fatal.

You may want to go to the beginner's sticky in the questions forum. It will give you a lot of the basics of tarantula care. Good luck.

limz_777

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
read the beginner sticky , like you say care sheet are bullocks , i prefer first hand expert advice from you guys , i meant getting rid of the crickets inside?

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes take the cricket out. While a tarantula is on it's back molting it is in it's most vulnerable state. A cricket (evil beasts) will take advantage and munch on the still soft exoskeleton of the tarantula which is obviously not good and the T will most likely die. As said before leave your new friend alone from now till a week to a week and half after it's molt. When it molts the exo will be light in color until it hardens back up. A good determiner is it's fangs which are white after a molt when they harden back to black you can drop in a cricket and see if it gets taken. Good luck!!!!

Steph

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
read the beginner sticky , like you say care sheet are bullocks , i prefer first hand expert advice from you guys , i meant getting rid of the crickets inside?
The beginner sticky was written by people here on the board. There are some caresheets, but they are pretty decent. Most other ones I have seen make it too complicated ot care for your pet. Ask all the questions you like. Do use the sticky and the search engine though. There is a lot of info on this board, sometimes you just have ot look a little.

And yes, take the crickets in the tank out. They will stress and potentially harm your T.

limz_777

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea some sticky is a good read , good for basic knowlege ,i have taken out the crickets , anyway they are making too much noise when i off the lights.