ID these Newt or Salamander

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im not sure if these are newts or salamanders. Both were found under logs in a moist area. Creeks near by

Number 1:

NUmber 2 comes with a baby:

They are both roughly 15-17cm long. The baby is about 4cm.
Oh and they are both different, if you couldn't tell from the pix.

Thanks a bunch!

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, it seems the first one is a newt, and the other is a salamander. Don't know about species, never seen any like that where I live. Very cute though!

steu

Arachnopeon
i'm not sure but seems to me both are taricha torosa

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
i'm not sure but seems to me both are taricha torosa
I think you're right about the first one, but the second one looks more like Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica to me. Of course this is working from the Peterson's field guide. I'm sure someone with local knowledge would be able to tell far more certainly.

Cheers,
Dave

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you're right about the first one, but the second one looks more like Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica to me. Of course this is working from the Peterson's field guide. I'm sure someone with local knowledge would be able to tell far more certainly.

Cheers,
Dave
I think number one may be Taricha granulosa instead

number two looks like Aneides lugubris

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are Taricha sp.(won't try to guess) and Ensatina.

What are you planning on doing with them? I'd release them unless you plan to breed. Also, you'd need a fishing license to keep them, but you likely have that.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After looking around on google and some pictures with the name Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica. I think skinheaddave is right on the money. THe second one is indeed Ensatina eschscholtzii xanthoptica.

The second one definetly looks like Taricha torosa torosa.

Thanks alot guys!