ID Request: Tarantula from Las Piedrotas, Mexico

malhomme

Arachnopeon
Please help me identify this tarantula.

This male tarantula was collected at the scenic site of Las Piedrotas, near the town of Tapalpa, Mexico. I am unsure of its species, but I think the genus is Aphonopelma.

This is a map of the Location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=19.599921,-103.600087&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.411029,92.900391&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=12

My best guess is that it is Aphonopelma nayaritum, which resembles this tarantula and was first identified less than 200 miles to the north. I defer to the more knowledgeable members of this forum to help me identify it.

In natural lighting, the carapace and body are a lovely cocoa color. He has a very soft and almost powdery look to his body. The ventral portions of the rear two legs have a kind of serrated feeling to them, like the legs of grasshoppers. (I don’t handle many of my tarantulas so these serrations may have just escaped my notice with others.) The rump has a jet black patch dorsally with delicate rose/orange color setae. Behaviorally, this tarantula is quite docile and confident.

In the photos, I have placed him on a Go board for an estimation of size. Each square is roughly 7/8” (2.24 cm). In a lot of the photos he is pretty scrunched up.

Please help me identify this subtle, but lovely tarantula.

Kind regards,
Jim

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It does look "Aphonopelma"-ish...but unfortunately there's no way to diagnose the species right now. We have good evidence that there are a number of new "Aphonopelma" in that area of Mexico.

I will also say that based on his size, and the abdomen size, he will mature on his next molt. So, that being said...our research (Aphonopelma REVSYS - Dr. Jason Bond, Dr. Brent Hedrixson, and myself) would absolutely love to have him (alive, for nuclear DNA) once he matures (or even now and we can keep him alive until he matures) especially since there is good locale info.

***you can email me if you're interested chris at 8legs2fangs.com

Cheers,
Chris

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Really nice spider, looks male to me too. It'd be cool if you can get it sent to Chris to contribute his research :) or also if you can collect few more specimens to send them.

Cheers,
Pato

malhomme

Arachnopeon
So, that being said...our research (Aphonopelma REVSYS - Dr. Jason Bond, Dr. Brent Hedrixson, and myself) would absolutely love to have him (alive, for nuclear DNA) once he matures (or even now and we can keep him alive until he matures) especially since there is good locale info.
Thanks Chris! If I sent him to you it would be after his ultimate molt. Would your team euthanize him or let him die naturally before collecting nuclear DNA?

Also, there is a female in Austin that he was collected with. I do not know the owner, but do know that she is here. I have considered a mating scenario but there are a lot of unknowns.

Thanks again,
Jim

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help.

If I were you, I would wait until he matures and then mate him with that female...then send him to me.

And we euthanize them, unfortunately (we do it very humanely, no horrible chemicals). We don't have the time to wait around for them to die naturally...and if they did die and we weren't there to immediately collect the DNA, it would degrade very rapidly.

Please use my email, referenced above, to keep in touch b/c I rarely stop by AB anymore.

Cheers,
Chris

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
I know I am new and looking at the map that is away's away from Texas. But I think it resembles a Texas Brown. Is there a way to tell the difference from the two?

malhomme

Arachnopeon
I know I am new and looking at the map that is away's away from Texas. But I think it resembles a Texas Brown. Is there a way to tell the difference from the two?
I'm no expert either but have, like you, seen plenty of Aphonopelma hentzi wandering about. For now, there's no way of knowing for certain that the specimen here is Aphonopelma. If so, they will share many characteristics as other Aphonopelma, but notable differences with A. hentzi to be sure.

For example, the colors, patterns and setae are completely different. Also, note the coloring of the legs and carapace are different than Aphonopelma hentzi. Lastly, IMHO, A. hentzi has a kind of rough look and are leggier than this specimen.

Here's a link so you can compare:
http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/p.php?id=1055

HTH,
Jim