ID please

Caveternal

Arachnosquire
You seeing that around water? Species of fishing spider?
It is alongside a canal there are a good many of them they build thick tunnel webs in the grass on the sides of the canal but also they have some far away from the canal I saw about a mile. There are an abundance of grasshoppers everywhere always junmping into their webs that is what theyre feeding on and how theyre so healthy I kept one last year, a male. I don't ever see them going into the water though I am always bringing my dog there every morning on the weekends. Althoug I do see some Dolemedes Triton fishing spiders.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I saw you're in Louisiana. I'm in Mississippi. Anyhow, I swear I've seen some fishing spiders that look similar to that, but I could very well be wrong. I'm no expert! Lol

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
@Westicles is right. It's a fishing spider, Dolomedes sp. It might be D. triton, but it's hard to tell because they have so much variation in coloration and pattern from place to place.
These are in the family Pisauridae, the nursery web weavers, which construct the kinds of webs you see: planar sheets with funnel hides. Often a bunch of them will live near to each other close to some water.

Last edited:

Caveternal

Arachnosquire
@Westicles is right. It's a fishing spider, Dolomedes sp. It might be D. triton, but it's hard to tell because they have so much variation in coloration and pattern from place to place.
These are in the family Pisauridae, the nursery web weavers, which construct the kinds of webs you see: planar sheets with funnel hides. Often a bunch of them will live near to each other close to some water.
It's not the d. Triton they have white around the edges and different structure. I saw a healthy mature female, they don't really get a massive leg span like the swamp fishing spider but I could see how it could be a sub species of Dolomedes.

Caveternal

Arachnosquire
It's not the d. Triton they have white around the edges and different structure. I saw a healthy mature female, they don't really get a massive leg span like the swamp fishing spider but I could see how it could be a sub species of Dolomedes.
I'm new to this and don't mean to sound like I know what I'm talking about but these are some things I have noticed