ID Please

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
N. Thailand. Body length, approx 15mm. Colors very close to correct. Appears to be claw footed.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did you get any other pictures - preferably one that shows the eyes, chelicerae, and pedipalps?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This looks lycosid to me as well, the carapace mainly. If only their were eye pics

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It has a lot of similar characteristics. The carapace, the face shape, the legs. It looks like a wolf spider. No one is saying it is or not but right now everyone is guessing. And also, smokehound714 knows his spiders lol. He is seeing some lycosid in it as well. I am curious as to what this could be though, really cool spider

Veles

Arachnobaron
It has a lot of similar characteristics. The carapace, the face shape, the legs. It looks like a wolf spider. No one is saying it is or not but right now everyone is guessing. And also, smokehound714 knows his spiders lol. He is seeing some lycosid in it as well. I am curious as to what this could be though, really cool spider
Wolf spiders have different carapace than this,this is almost certainly some kind of Gnaphosid.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Though at the magnification I'm using the picture is quite blurred, there are, I think, four eyes in the following configuration:
OooO
I might be able to see six, like so:
OooO
oo
(Spacing not quite right above, and the tops of the small eyes might be as high as or higher than the tops of the large ones)

Veles

Arachnobaron
Though at the magnification I'm using the picture is quite blurred, there are, I think, four eyes in the following configuration:
OooO
I might be able to see six, like so:
OooO
oo
(Spacing not quite right above, and the tops of the small eyes might be as high as or higher than the tops of the large ones)
When you look a bit closer this might be a spider from Zodariidae family.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd REALLY like a good front view of the eyes!

It looks very much like this one: https://www.thaibugs.com/wp-content/gallery/jumping-spiders/ant-mimicking spider 1.jpg (from this page: https://www.thaibugs.com/?page_id=978, where it is identified there as an ant-mimicking jumping spider - but it could be something totally different.) I suspect that it is mis-identified, since the spider right next to it on the thaibugs page (https://www.thaibugs.com/wp-content/gallery/jumping-spiders/ant-mimicking spider 2.jpg) appears to be a mis-identified Corinnid. That one bears a striking resemblance to Pranburia mahannopi (https://wildlifethailand.com/blog-posts/arthropods/236-ant-mimicking-sac-spider-2).

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Eyes about
o o o o (in a slight arch)
o O O o (straight line) Might have been closer to O o o O or even o o o o
It was last seen wandering around our bedroom. If it turns back up we will try for another pic.

Just got reply from Dr. Jaeger. He thinks Corrinidae family.

Two comedies about this spider. Our Nikon failed miserably to get a decent shot. This pic is from the bosses cell phone. We both were so busy doing stuff, me processing the image, we lost track of the spider which was wandering in our bedroom. (We only take the trouble to shoo out the scorps and the larger sparassids which get really obnoxious when the lights go out.)

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I don't think that's a salticid...I could be wrong, but I usually find salticids fairly distinctive.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think that's a salticid...I could be wrong, but I usually find salticids fairly distinctive.
No, I don't think it's a salticid either. Like I said, there's one that looks very similar on a salticid page - but I think that one is misidentified, as is the one next to it (which is a corinnid.)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
N. Thailand. Body length, approx 15mm. Colors very close to correct. Appears to be claw footed.
I can't say I am very familiar with the spiders of Thailand, but the body shape screams Corinnidae to me. (This family contains antmimics and ground sac spiders.)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
By the way, what makes people think this is an ant mimic? The ant mimics I've seen looked much more like ants than this one does.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Jaeger hinted that there are probably a lot of Corinnidae yet to be properly described. Going by that and from what I've read, not just species but possibly several Genera.