ID Please!!!

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Looks to be a Vaejovis confusus. That's probably right considering they are pretty common and there are only a few species in that area that all look very different from eachother. Great find!

Nate Haddon

Arachnopeon
Cool. Will It get big or stay small? It is about the size of a penny right now. And how do I tell if it's a male or female? Also, is it very poisonous? :p

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
They are a smaller species only reaching around 2 inches in length. I couldn't tell you if it's male or female without looking at the pectines on the bottom of the scorpion. They look like little wings with feathers. Females usually have smaller "wings" and males larger. These guys are relatively harmless unless you're allergic. I've been stung and it feels no more than a bee sting with very little pain lasting about 15 minutes.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Ok, tolerate my officious OCD rudeness...I honestly can't help myself: words are my business, and I dearly love the English language. POISONOUS is when you bite it and you get sick; VENOMOUS is when it bites (or stings) you and you get sick. Thanks for your patience. Sad compulsion, isn't it?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
And what a lovely wee creature you have found. I love watching the smaller indigenous species. Their behavior is so entertaining!

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think he or she just had good intentions...they were just clarifying, and there is a significant difference between the two words....

I just wanted to clarify (and I hope it is not offensive either) that Vaejovis confusus is now Paravaejovis confusus because of the recent revision of Vaejovidae. But yes, considering the few scorpions in that area, the scorpion in the photo is likely P. confusus.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I think he or she just had good intentions...they were just clarifying, and there is a significant difference between the two words....

I just wanted to clarify (and I hope it is not offensive either) that Vaejovis confusus is now Paravaejovis confusus because of the recent revision of Vaejovidae. But yes, considering the few scorpions in that area, the scorpion in the photo is likely P. confusus.
Oh yes, thanks for reminding me. Forgot it was changed to Paravaejovis. They need to stop changing them haha

Daniel137

Arachnopeon
I am looking for this species to add to my collection. I looked all over the east side of bear lake with no luck this last weekend. I have heard that the west side of the Great Salt Lake is a hot spot for these critters. I was hoping I could get some advice on a good location within driving distance of Logan, Ut. Thanks in advance!