ID please

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I originally thought P. scrofa, but it doesn't have a mirror patch. It's pretty small, about the size of my palm. Any ideas?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it appears to be indeed P. scrofa. It looks as it it has kicked all the hairs off its abdomen. that is why there isnt a "mirror patch". Also appears to be in heavy premolt.

cheers

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, the spinerettes are black with orange lines.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

it appears to be indeed P. scrofa. It looks as it it has kicked all the hairs off its abdomen. that is why there isnt a "mirror patch". Also appears to be in heavy premolt.

cheers
Thanks. I wasn't sure if they could kick off the hairs in the mirror patch or not. Just hadn't seen one without it.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I would wait until after the molt (which seems like it may be soon), then repost this thread with the new picture. I have seen pictures of LP's before a molt, and they didn't even look Lasiodora. After the molt however, it was very clear.

--Dan

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like grammostola sp. Conception .

Moose

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i also thought of this possibility...but the carapace seems a bit dark for conception...possible younger RCF rosea??.....it doesnt have the longer hair patterns on the abdomen like scrofa...but still hard to say.....keep us posted on her post molt-ness.....cant wait to see what she lloks like!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My guesses are P. scrofa, G. sp. "concepcion" or G. sp. "maule".

I don't think it's an RCF rosea due to the spinerettes having the orange lines separating the segments and the chelicerae are the light tan color.

Guess we will wait until the molt.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I still stand by P. scrofa.

I would say it wont be long until a molt. so after that you will know for sure.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is easily verified by looking for enlarged (bulbous) scopulae on the metatarsus of the front legs.
I completely forgot about that. Yes, the scopulae are enlarged on the metatarsus. I remember seeing that when I picked it up and thinking "this isn't an arboreal species?" What are the enlarged scopulae used for? So based on this factor I can safely say G. sp. concepcion?

Also, how much do these typically go for? I picked it up at my lps for $20 and it was sold to me as a "True Zebra" (A. seemanni). I knew otherwise and thought I was getting a P. scrofa.

malhomme

Arachnopeon
I completely forgot about that. Yes, the scopulae are enlarged on the metatarsus. I remember seeing that when I picked it up and thinking "this isn't an arboreal species?" What are the enlarged scopulae used for? So based on this factor I can safely say G. sp. concepcion?

Also, how much do these typically go for? I picked it up at my lps for $20 and it was sold to me as a "True Zebra" (A. seemanni). I knew otherwise and thought I was getting a P. scrofa.
Yes, it's Grammostola sp. 'Concepcion' then. They sell for maybe $30. I have one and though it is the cheapest T in my collection, it is also one of my favorites because of temperment.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I can't tell you or speculate on the species but that dark patch on the opithosoma is the heart or more specifically the pericardium. This spider is not in premolt.