Id please... Didn't really fit anywhere else...

MarkS

Arachnopeon
OK, Swift's Invertebrates shows this as the adult form of the A. versicolor:

However, DavidBeard identified his spider here as being "Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)":

They look the same to me. Not similar, the same.:? SO, which is which? I'd post this in the ID forum, but its format will not allow me to.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The top one is the Versi and the bottem is the GBB......... I dont really understand what you are asking? Did you not believe them when they told you what it was?

How on earth do they look the same to you? Cant you see the orange on the rump of the GGB? And the purple on the Versi? The blue on the legs of the Green bottle? And the light purple on the Versi?
If you can't tell the differences in the colors you really might be color blind. I am not saying that to be funny it might be true.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
huh :? they look completely different to me. it's a GBB, without a shadow of a doubt.

MarkS

Arachnopeon
Its not that I don't believe him, but they look far too close to be different. Its very hard to tell in the first pic as it is so much darker. It could very well be orange hairs in the top pic. Can't really tell. That's why I'm asking.

MarkS

Arachnopeon
I guess I'm too new to this. I just don't see the differences.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok well I was not meaning to make fun or anything. They are just so obviously different that I thought you were joking or something. You can see all colors to the best of your knowledge?
New or not those are some very noticable differences.

MarkS

Arachnopeon
Ok well I was not meaning to make fun or anything. They are just so obviously different that I thought you were joking or something. You can see all colors to the best of your knowledge?
New or not those are some very noticable differences.
In the top pic I see blue, teal, black and a reddish-orange. In the bottom (brighter) pic, I see blue, teal, black and orange. I have 20/20 vision and am not color blind. Please note any differences for me. I just cannot see them.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess I'm too new to this. I just don't see the differences.
don't worry. you just haven't gotten your full bug eyes yet. hopefully you will remember this thread and come back in 3 months or 6 months or a year... and be amazed that they could ever look the same to you.

i wouldn't even look at the colors.. the body shapes look dif to me :)

i run into the same thing with centipedes. initially people sometimes have trouble telling the front from the back... but for myself it is hard to mistake them... they just look SOOO different to me... *now*

just another lesson on how amazing our brains and sensorium are :D

MarkS

Arachnopeon
i wouldn't even look at the colors.. the body shapes look dif to me :)
THAT made a difference! Thanks! I guess I need to look at things differently. The bodies are very much different. Its amazing how something as simple as color can trick the brain.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm trying hard to be understanding here, how could you not see a difference? The bright orange abdomen on the GBB is rather noticeable.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont know ither............ i guess in theory if you look at the pics presented the lighting in the Versi pic is bad so maybe to him it looked similar in color..... thats all I can come up with, oh and the carapace looks close to the same in color. Heck I dont know. :confused: I could never be a lawyer.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
this really is a good example how how our brains work regarding vision.

in fact, your brain is filtering out tons of details that "it" deems unimportant. it is somewhat similar to the concept behind the part in Jurrassic Park where they hold very still and the T-rex can't see them. for that to be true the t-rex would have to possess only the eye cells that register movement. we actually have eyecells that only get triggered when something moves horizontally, vertically, or diagonally across our field of vision. we have different eyecells that get triggered depending on what part of the electromagneticc spectrum the photons hitting in fall in. this is how we percieve color. when these cells are triggered this starts a chemoelectric that eventually sends signals to our brain.

as you can imagine, we don't have to micromanage the responses of EVERY individual cell. our brains do pattern matching/analysis and only the "important" stuff makes it to our conciousness.

in MarkS' case, his brain has not yet "locked onto" the important stuff to easily differentiate between these two species. don't worry, it will, though

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
different

Try this: Go to the picture gallery and look at a bunch of photos of avics and a bunch of GBB pix. I think it might make the differences more apparent. Focus on things like the hair patterns (cute fuzzy avic legs), the feet (avic toes are very distintive), the chelicerae (bigger on GBB), etc. Notice the differences in the carapace etc. If you break them into parts, you'll start noticing how distinctly different these two very colorful T's are. Yes, many photos are deceiving, as T's are so variable in how the colors appear due to lighting, hairs, reflections etc. Hope this helps.

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here are a couple more examples, one of each, that might help you see the build, hair/coloration differences.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
You da man Randy!:clap:

Oh, and BTW Mark, you can't post Swift's pics, atleast not without the copyright.

-Sean

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nope, there def. different. Good luck telling some other kinds apart then, its alot harder than these two thats for sure!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you'll never confuse them in real life, believe me. it's not only the body, but the colours that are very different:

the versicolor is deep red with a metallic green carapace and purple highlights on the legs.

the gbb has blue legs with orange hairs, an orange abdomen and a moss green carapace.

just wait till you see them with your own eyes or google more pics and they will look quite different.;)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK, Swift's Invertebrates shows this as the adult form of the A. versicolor:

However, DavidBeard identified his spider here as being "Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)":

They look the same to me. Not similar, the same.:? SO, which is which? I'd post this in the ID forum, but its format will not allow me to.
I take it your somewhat new to Ts? Since any experienced keeper can see the obvious differences in these two species.

The names that are listed are correct and these 2 Ts are not similar in anyway except for being NW Ts with urticating hairs.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow I’m a little surprised t how snippy "some" (Not all clearly) people are getting about the most basic questions…isn’t that why we are here to ask questions. Wow maybe we need an “expert only section” so we don’t bother the know it alls. :embarrassed:

Anyhoo Mark I think you should get both of them…they are both very popular in the hobby. :D

Steph