Id please... Didn't really fit anywhere else...

MarkS

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all of the replies. I can see the difference now, but I couldn't at first. The pic from Swift's site was dark, so I couldn't tell for sure if I was seeing orange or not. Once I took color out of the equation, I could see differences in body structure. Oh well, newbie mistake. We're all allowed at least one... dozen... :D

And thanks for the notice about posting Swift's pics. This is new to me. I've been involved in the marine aquarium hobby since about '98. There has never been an issue with posting pics from aquarium stores on message boards, so long as you do not claim the pic as your own (which I did not do here...). I guess every hobby really is different.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes, definitly those 2 spiders are a must to anybody starting out:clap: welcome to the boards mon:)

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
And thanks for the notice about posting Swift's pics. This is new to me. I've been involved in the marine aquarium hobby since about '98. There has never been an issue with posting pics from aquarium stores on message boards, so long as you do not claim the pic as your own (which I did not do here...). I guess every hobby really is different.
Yeah, well I mean, to be honest, I don't really think he'd care. Since this is an Arachnid site, and you clearly stated it was his pic, (and posted a link to his site). And he's a pretty cool guy.

But, just to be on the safe side, don't get into a habit of it, know what I mean?

-Sean

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey,
Wait till you start comparing different Avicularia species. Now that is a whole different ball of string.
Jon

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yes, definitly those 2 spiders are a must to anybody starting out:clap: welcome to the boards mon:)
He wasn't even talking about buying them, he just thought they were the same type of T.

Last edited:

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mark I understand where u are coming from, my co worker can not tell the diff. pokies from each another.

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's a question... do the legs on the Avic always look "poofier" than on a GBB?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Avics will look "poofier" most of the time only because they have more hair on the legs to begin with and it's longer. So yes they do.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can kinda c where he was coming from. The pics he posted were from different angles and different lighting. (I am an experience keeper and know the differences dont worry lol) But rather than jumping down his throat (like a few did) I tried 2 c it from an inexperience perspective. Now by looking at other pictures, and if u saw them in "person" (spider?? lol) You'd tell the difference for sure :)

Glad you cleared it up. And yeah.. that is what this forum is for.. To ask questions. Lighten up peoples :) **hopes this doesnt start another row** lol

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the first one is the avic versicolor and the second one is the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, the difference is really notorius man, check the coloration on the abdomen, legs (in GBB is blue), and cephalothorax in AV is kind of metallic green.. :wall: but is ok to ask, you are learning :)