ID Please...Aphonopelma sp?

Mez

Arachnoknight
Pretty sure it's an Aphonopelma sp...certainly more so than what it was labeled as "Brazilian Blonde"!

Cheers,
James

Mez

Arachnoknight
Thanks, how can I differentiate between A. chalcodes and A. sp. New River? I'm not very well up on Aphonopelmas, but I swapped a few LP slings and £15 for it...anything special I need to know?
Cheers
James

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
You've really opened up a can of worms here

Get ready for the ONSLAUGHT to begin. Whenever, ANY unidentified Aphonopelma pic is posted here, you're likely to hear this repeated ad nauseaum:

"With Aphonopelma, there's still a LOT of work to be done revising the Genus. Dr X, Dr. Y, and Dr. Z are all working tirelessly on trying to figure it out. You'll have to wait until then, for a clear answer."

I think we should call all of these AUA'a for "Another Unidentifiable Aphonopelma!"

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can tell you its either from arizona, california, or nevada. Most likely Arizona as this is where most of the blonde tarantulas are coming out of. Good chance its something in the chalcodes complex. But what do I know.... I've never been to the desert.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
I can tell you its either from arizona, california, or nevada. Most likely Arizona as this is where most of the blonde tarantulas are coming out of. Good chance its something in the chalcodes complex. But what do I know.... I've never been to the desert.
{D

I think you're fibbing Josh!! haha!!

Chalcodes complex is probably about AS CLOSE as anyone is likely to get on this one. And with that said, I think Josh brings up a great point. MANY of the Aphonopelmas have "locality" names associated with them, and they can usually be filtered down to one of the 3 or 4 MARJOR Aphonopelma complexes out there: A. eutylenum complex, A. chalcodes complex, A. iodius complex, and either A. hentzi or A. anax complexes.

Being a "blonde", I think placing this particular Tarantula in the Aphonopelma chalcodes complex, is fair, and ever more important, accurate.

But what do I know, I've never been on the internet...:D

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Judging from the picture, I would say that spider is from the lower sonoran desert in arizona. The higher elevation chalcodes complex things to the north tend to have more orange while lower elevation populations to the south tend to be that nice blonde. But what do I know..... I dont even know what a cactus is..... Shoot! I've never even seen a wild tarantula!