ID on DR Tarantula

GeckoKing

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

Seeing if anyone can give me some information on this Dominican Republic spider. The video did not come out as nice on Youtube as it did on my computer. I need to find a large file uploader to send out the full HD if it will help anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBQH0eGhfo

Take a look and hopefully someone knows what it is.

Thanks
Zack

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
GeckoKing, I agree with Chris. It does look like a Grammostola. I didn't think that genus occurred anywhere in Hispaniola but not sure. The vid t looks eerily reminiscent G pulchra.

I thought I'd be looking at Phormictopus well before I clicked on the link. I'm stumped! {D

edit- I'm beginning to suspect tomfoolery on the part of somene *chuckle*. You sure that's not someone taking their imported pet for a walk?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had also thought Phormictopus but it doesnt look mean enough lol. And I'm not sure on the range of Grammostola either. Maybe it is someone taking their pet T for a walk :D

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Yup, for some reason it looks out of their original surroundings.

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice spider, really nice green colouration on the carapace and femurs. I don't see any reason not to think that it's a Phormictopus sp.

GeckoKing

Arachnopeon
Hello All,

This is one of about 75 Tarantulas we found over a 2 day period in Western DR near the Haiti border. Didn't get any video of the eastern spiders, but they were much diffrent and in all but wet coco trash. I have the rest of the video showing me wrestling this thing out of the ground and catching it. It was the 2nd largest spider found on the trip and the only green one we came across.

Any other thoughts on ID? My first thoughts were Lasiodora or Grammstola but I am a spider novice and not sure what occurs in DR, and information seems lacking.

Thanks,
Zack

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Probably Phormictopus then. Although I am unsure if there are any other genera there.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It does look like a Phormictopus, but not one I've seen before. Can you post some of the pictures of it?
It does look lovely.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree, Phormictopus. Not sure which species, But it's one I'd love to get my hands on.

GeckoKing

Arachnopeon
Hello All,

I posted some pictures in the Phormictopus section but they do not show the green really, you could only see it when it was moving and on the video it showed up the best. It was an impressive specimen.

Thanks for the help everyone with at least a genus to look into :) - Maybe I found something new!

Zack

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i want one, someone should bring this varient of P cancerides into the hobby

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree that it's almost certainly a Phormictopus sp. Green P. cancerides variant, eh? That's pretty sweet. Methinks it may be determined to be a separate species someday. Or maybe it's just because there's so much more green on the Dominican side of the island...