ID me please :D

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
okay so i was on vacation in florida and i found myself a new friend. ive never seen a spider quite like this one before seeing as i am from canada.

SIDE

BOTTOM

this is one of the coolest spiders ive ever seen. I let it go shortly after taking these photos but am very curious to find out what it is.

thanks.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like a Leucauge venusta, "Orchard spider."

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah it looks a lot like it but its abdomen wasnt shaped like an orb. the abdomen was flat and skinny.

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive seen Leucauge venustas before in my woodlot in canada and it didnt look the same... from what i saw at least. maybe im crazy LOL

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
maybe it was dehydrated? sometimes that will make an abdomen flat and skinny...

other reasons include: MM near end of life, extreme hunger, just laid a sac, etc, etc.

abdomen shapes can change.

oh yeah, venom looks to be right.

edit: n/m

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah it looks a lot like it but its abdomen wasnt shaped like an orb. the abdomen was flat and skinny.

L. venusta isn't an "orb weaver" because its abdomen is shaped like an orb, but because its web is shaped like an orb.

L. venusta has a rectangular abdomen.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ive seen Leucauge venustas before in my woodlot in canada and it didnt look the same... from what i saw at least. maybe im crazy LOL
Leucauge venusta (Tetragnathidae) is the only species of Leucauge found in Ontario. The characteristic pair of triangle-shaped orange patches on its belly (visible in your spider) helps to identify it.

Edit - I see you found this one in Florida! There is a second species of Leucauge down there, but only L. venusta has the orange triangles. Just to clarify ... :)

Last edited: