ID Help (pix soon sorry)

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
I was jogging through the woods around my house and saw what looked like a centipede but looking closer was a snake. I grabbed it and put it into an enclosure and its my first snake ive wanted one for a while now and it was a good coincidence lol. It has stripes vertically (dark coloration) and light brown. I think the coloration is awsome, its quick and still a baby im guessing. Is it a garter snake? I live in Michigan, West Bloomfield if that helps.
Ill try and post some pics asap once i get my digi cam back from my sister, any help is appreciated and some tips since it is my first snake.

I tried feeding it grasshoppers which i caught in my backyard and it wont eat them. I have corkbark in there with some substrate that i use for my tarantulas. I added a fake leaf which he seems to like hiding under and added a water bowl for it.

Thanks again,

James

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The baby garter snakes I've seen are quite bright yellow, but it might be one, there's a lot of colour variation within the genus. Try feeding it an earthworm.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm real curious. Doesn't really sound like a garter to me, only pics will tell!

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Northern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi) perhaps?

I found one in a cow pasture once while I was collecting manure, it was on a hemlock plant. I kept it over the winter feeding it earthworms and they especially love slugs, releasing it the following spring. They're live bearers similar to Garters.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would say garter snake. I just caught one the other day and it's light brown with stripes and some spots here and there.

Plus they're found nation wide too.

:)