id for millipede

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
DSCN0817.JPG i DSCN0814.JPG could some one help me id this millipede and I would like some care tips if possible

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
That's an attractive millipede! :) Where did you find it? That will help both in identifying it and figuring out optimal husbandry conditions -- if known. You might also post on BugGuide.net

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I believe your gorgeous millipede is a species of Atopetholidae -- a family of Spirobolida. I have not seen any reports of them being found as far north as Oregon, yet that is not so far out of range and your millipede really does not look like Tylobolus uncigerus to me (that species is the only Spirobolid regularly found in the northwest of which I am aware).

I do not have experience keeping this species yet but I believe it would do well with standard millipede husbandry -- damp substrate largely composed of decaying hardwood and leaves (you might start by only just barely moistening all the substrate and then adding a bit more water to one corner to see what your millipede prefers).

Congratulations! I am jealous! :p This lovely species is high on my wishlist but never offered for sale.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
if you would like the specimen I would be happy to do a trade
I would LOVE to trade for it and any more that you find! :astonished: What are you interested in? I have several species of millipedes and there are some nice local inverts, including Eloides and Pasimachus beetles. :)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
But of course! I had forgotten that Julida millipedes can be larger -- especially out west it seems! The millipede's face does not have the mid-line suture characteristic of Spirobolida. Now that I'm looking in the Julida category, I've found several photos on BugGuide.net that look like this millipede. It may be a Parajulid -- I shall continue to investigate... :bookworm:

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
I believe your gorgeous millipede is a species of Atopetholidae -- a family of Spirobolida. I have not seen any reports of them being found as far north as Oregon, yet that is not so far out of range and your millipede really does not look like Tylobolus uncigerus to me (that species is the only Spirobolid regularly found in the northwest of which I am aware).

I do not have experience keeping this species yet but I believe it would do well with standard millipede husbandry -- damp substrate largely composed of decaying hardwood and leaves (you might start by only just barely moistening all the substrate and then adding a bit more water to one corner to see what your millipede prefers).

Congratulations! I am jealous! :p This lovely species is high on my wishlist but never offered for sale.
I'm also going to hazard that it's not a T. uncigerus, since I own one and its legs are very different.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I think you're right! Thank you! :)

I'm still such a newb! :bag: But it's not yet been a year since I learned that not all millipedes in this country are small and gray, lol. I'm learning, but still have a long way to go! :bookworm:

Thanks again for your help with the ID! :D
No problem! I've been doing my best to familiarize myself with the myriapods around Cali in case I ever come across any, and Bollmaniulus occurs in Cali and a few other states around Cali. Right now, I'm searching for Paeromopus angusticeps, perhaps the longest millipede species in Cali with reported lengths of around 13-14 cm. I'll let you know if anything pops up.:)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
No problem! I've been doing my best to familiarize myself with the myriapods around Cali in case I ever come across any, and Bollmaniulus occurs in Cali and a few other states around Cali. Right now, I'm searching for Paeromopus angusticeps, perhaps the longest millipede species in Cali with reported lengths of around 13-14 cm. I'll let you know if anything pops up.:)
That's awesome! :D And good luck in your search! I think there are quite a few impressive Paeromopodids in California. :angelic: