ID for BIG spider:P

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WoW your a lucky guy. Congrats on your phoneutria and the eggsac man!:clap: That yellow-orangeish tint to her setae makes her look really pretty. What kind of plant was she shipped on?
First, I'm a girl:p
Second, she came from a shipment with Beaucarnia plants from Costa Rica.

Yung Cae$ar

Arachnopeon
oh sorry :wall: hehe :8o . It kinda makes you wonder how they dont notice a big yellow/brown spider on the plant.

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh sorry :wall: hehe :8o . It kinda makes you wonder how they dont notice a big yellow/brown spider on the plant.
It was hidden in the corner of the wooden crate the plants were transported in. Someone saw something move and they found this beautiful girl.
I'm really very happy with her. Hope the sac will have many healthy babies.

hydraulics

Arachnopeon
Thi is a Phoneutria Nigriventer, see it's pink chelicera hairs and pale color and tiny eyes. Also called a Brazilian wandering spider as is P. Fera.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow. old topic, what ever happened to her and her babies then?
BTW i dont see the point in ranking how strong venow is and all, it either kills you or it doesnt :p

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

Phoneutria as a genus may be dubbed "high-toxic", but there are differences within the individual species.

The shown P. boliviensis is not known to be able to cause fatal envenomations in humans, not even in very small children.

Chemical anaylis show this species has a significant lower amount of PhTx1 in its whole toxin than for example P. keyserlingi or P. nigriventer.

The only symptom to expect after getting nailed by one of these is pain which is not only due to high levels of serotonin you mention but also to histamin. Due to reports from bite victims the pain is localized and no other symptoms occur, even without any treatment you´ll be fine again 24h after the bite.

In regard to your other statements you might want to check with bite-analysis studies to get an idea about what to expect - what you wrote here is just mere BS.

The most important point is that it´s pretty unlikely to get taggged by a P. boliviensis at all. This species is rather calm in comparison to some others of this genus.

I have had extensive commo with Melanie about this particular specimen and have no doubt she and the spider will get along fine with each other.

Regards,

Stefan
Even if the Thread is old, I would like to comment on this one. Not all the specimens are equal for agresivness.
My P. Boliviensis specimen is very agressive to say the least. All the Phoneutrias I have seen and kept have displayed the threaten possition when they get either touched or unhappy with the movements I make around her. I would take no dubt that if I get close enough to my spider, she will probably tag me.
I keep also Latrodectus and I am pretty much sure that the Phoneutria Boliviensis I am keeping are far more agressive.

Ricardo