ID anyone...

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just got 3 of these beasties in and want to make sure of the species. I thought SHD or someone else here would know so here goes. Sold as P transvaalacis ( spelling? ) or African spitters. Is this correct? Thanks
Phil

Locotus

Arachnopeon
looks like the -(Parrabutus Transvaalicus)black Thick-Tailed Scorpion,,,{like you said} the metasoma is very Prominent, the flat coloration, IMO

i could be wrong... beutiful specimen.....

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Phillip,

Sure looks like Parabuthis transvaalicus to me. The thick keeling and prominant setae on the metasoma, along with the shape and colouration of the chela make them pretty recognizable.

I trust you are aware that they are medically significant and have been reported as being able to project their venom? Provided you treat them with the respect they deserve, though, they are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet scorpions. Congratulations on your aquisition.

Cheers,
Dave

Locotus

Arachnopeon
skinheaddave, that superworm is huge,,,,did he finish it?

How big is the Parrabutus Transvaalicus you have...he awesome looking

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Hmmm. It has been a couple weeks since I took that picture, but if I remember correctly, she (pretty sure that's my female) did not finish the worm. When I first got them, they both polished off one of those suckers, though. They're both around 3.5 inches, with the female being slightly larger.

Cheers,
Dave

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the confirmation...

I thought they were correct but just wanted to make sure. Thanks and yeah I know they're hot Dave so fear not. Any clue how big they get ? And when you are talking size on yours I'm guessing you're counting tail stretched out total length right?
Phil

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
My my Dave...it appears that your P. transvaalicus is well fed too...A wee bit chubby there...eh?...looks like my H.arizonensis.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Phillip,

Yeah, I generaly will indicate lengths as being mesosoma + metasoma. I gather that mine are mature, and thus 3.5-4" is probably about as big as they will go.

John,

Shhhhh. My scorpions can be very sensitive about their weights. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Yes Dave I understand completely....mine prefer the use of "plus sized telson" to the vernacular "fat-tail"....so I empathize,,:rolleyes:

John
];')