ID another Heterometrus?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I picked up a rather large female Heterometrus species at an expo last night, sold under the common name "giant Malaysian forest scorpion" as being possibly gravid. The supplier (Northwest Zoological Supply) said they didn't know the species, but they did say it wasn't H. spinifer or H. swammerdami

I did some searches, and I think I've narrowed it down to H. petersii. I've seen a few pictures of female H. longimanus that look similar, but the supplier said it wasn't that, either.

She's very big, smooth 'palps, slight granulation on the carapace, red telson, and brown chela. She also is faintly blue under incandescent lighting (but I don't think she's granulated enough to be H. cyaneus.

Any confirmations on ID would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pics:

Edit: I know this isn't the ideal (or proper) setup for a forest scorpion, but it's only a temporary fix until I get her home tonight where I can give her a proper enclosure.

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In all honesty, most suppliers dont know what they have nor does many importers/exporters. At least they didnt label it as an exact species like alot of them do. I bet there are more mislabeled Heterometrus spp floating around than about anything else.
There seems to be a recent influx of Heteros from Malaysia lately. I just acquired a pair of these myself last weekend.
Ok, now these could be H spinifer as they are a native of Malaysia. Of course so is H longimanus and possibly H petersii according to Eric's site
http://perso.orange.fr/eycb/scorpions/AIMalaisie.htm
I will speculate these are H long or H spin. I am not as familiar with this genus as I am a few others but I believe we at have it narrowed down to 2 species.
If mine will breed and drop kids I may be sending more molts to Dave to ID for me LOL

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At first appearence I considered H spinifer or possibly female H longimanus.

But I checked it compared you pictures fairly thoroughally and I think this is what you should start with later. So I'm leaning twoards longimanus.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh btw, until I get a good ID on mine I am labeling them as Heteromertus sp (Malaysia) and that is probably what we all need to label these as until they are IDed

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm with Ed on this one. It looks like a H. longimanus judging by the granulation pattern on the carapace. If it's longimanus its certainly female. :)

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
A lot of Heterometrus longimaus borneensis has been imported from Malaisia during the past year. This subspecies is very big. I currently have some specimens here. I think your specimen is H.L.borneensis.
Cheers
Eric

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I picked up a rather large female Heterometrus species at an expo last night, sold under the common name "giant Malaysian forest scorpion" as being possibly gravid. The supplier (Northwest Zoological Supply) said they didn't know the species, but they did say it wasn't H. spinifer or H. swammerdami...
I bought 1.2.0 from the same supplier last week (mail order). I haven't got to IDing them my self. I was leaning toward spinifer from the casual look I gave them. I'm going to rehouse them this weekend and give them a better look over. I'll post back.

Those are some BIG Heterometrus' though. :eek: I also bought 1 fem possibly gravid, let us/me know if yours pops.

Best Regards, Thaedion

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Funny . . . I could've sworn I already replied on here.

Anywho, thanks for the help everyone. I thought getting a species I've never heard of would have been exciting, but I've also been interested in H. longimanus.

@ Thaedion, I'll probably make a big ol' "OMG TEH FIRST BAB13S!!!1!! :eek:" thread if / when she pops. :D

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If anyone's still reading this, I think she's settled in nicely to her new home . . . the cricket that was in there mysteriously disappeared, leaving only a stray femur behind.

{D

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought a pair of these too.

MINE are not eating. I have had them eight days with no interest in food at all. The female looks gravid but she is not eatting either. I am keeping them around 75 degrees or so, water dish etc......I am worried that they are not eating.

Any one else whith these....are they eating ?

Thanks,

Bob

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't seen her eat . . . I've just noticed crickets disappearing. So far she's had two. How big is your container? I had her in a smallish rubbermaid at the time, but just transferred her to her own 10-gallon last night. Maybe smaller space = easier to find prey? I dunno.

How active are yours? I took my female out for some pictures, and she wound up climbing all the way up my arm and onto my back.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have the male and female separated. Both are in 2.5 gallon aquariums. They sleep most of the time but noticed they come out if the temp is above 80. It looks like they are stressed at above 80. I am keeping them in the mid 70s per Kelly Swift's advise.

Bob

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slight update: She's in her own 10-gal with a false-bottom arrangement and a bigger plastic rock to hide under. Another cricket disappeared while I was setting up the false bottom (well, not so much disappeared as relocated to sticking out of her chela {D).

I hope yours have started eating, Bob.

And I mentioned her climbing onto my back . . . sorry that none of the pics are in focus (hard to spotlight and use the camera with the same hand).

The one that makes her look freakishly huge:

Continuing her exploration (check out that aculeus!):

"Where do you think you're going?"