ID an Adult Pinkfoot T. Apophysis from T. Blondi

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I sent my adult male T. Blondi off for breeding. Days later I received a 7" female T. Apophysis. Is it possible to differentiate between the 2 species? I only have the Apophysis now so I have no basis for comparison. What do the experts say?:?

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not to sound mean or anything, but obviously there is a way to differentiate them since they are two seperate species. I personally don't know the differences because I have only owned one juvenile T.blondi.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its quite obvious with them both in front of you.
I can distinguish pretty readily.
T apoph tend to have a back area on the abdomen where as blondis tend not to be so obvious.
t apophysis

T blondi

The apophysis slit setellae (or whatever the hell theyr called) On the patella is brown

where as the knees of the blondi are generally more pink.

T apoph arent generally so heavily bodied as blondi, and in my experience they are more bristly and leggier.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is a female that matured a few days ago... note her black patch bum and brown patella

Mature males are completely diff...
T apophysis have tibial hooks and are purple/pink

T blondi are brown as male

Again its notable that the patella is brown in an immature apoph. The blackpatch is also notable from early on.

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/...a apophysis/?action=view&current=DSC00100.jpg
The slings do not display the different patella.
BUT the T apoph does have the pink feet and imo are leggier from sling to adult than the blondi

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hi easiest to see is by looking at the hind legs. blondi have thick hind legs, apophysis thin.

Eddy

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks all, I should be able to make a positive ID later. She's in her burrow eating now. I will take a photo later today and post it here.:D

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, the blondi's prosoma appears a tad rounder while apophisis is more elongated around the eyes (sort of)

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some other info here: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/evolution/Theraphosinae/Theraphosa

Are You sure this is the Theraphosa adult male picture and not Pamphobeteus?
I know you know your stuff, so im quite curious to what has made you wonder if its a Theraphosa/ or Pamphobeteus.
I have had a pair of siblings for a couple of molts. They are definately Theraphosa apophysis. I do have a bunch of mature Pamphobeteus 'South equador' to compare also, there is quite a difference with the pampho MM.

(excuse the phone pictures - he had just molted so had all his legs tucked up to him)

I have mated my old mature female apophwith my new MM T apophysis and all went well..
I would assume hed probably not lasted if he was a different genus.
The spermathecae are vastly different too.

Last edited:

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well here's the first photo, I thought I would be certain but i'm not.
Blondi or Apophysis?

Close up crop from same photo

I don't see too much that looks pink. Is there a hybrid of these two species?

Last edited:

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
At least int at pic it looks like a blondi, could you get a pic of the abdomen, see if there is a black patch on it?
It looks aprox 5-6inch? mabe the patella patches havent developed yet

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
from the pics penny that looks like a blondi.....and as far as there being a hybrid.. i have heard of a few across the pond but none that have been for sale.....

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/#link

from the pics penny that looks like a blondi.....and as far as there being a hybrid.. i have heard of a few across the pond but none that have been for sale.....
Hope not, lol
I personally dont agree with hybridising.. but hey.
Iv not heard about them over here at least

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hope not, lol
I personally dont agree with hybridising.. but hey.
Iv not heard about them over here at least
ya unfourtantly due to not correctly identifying between the two, has lead to some freaks of nature....

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This female is at least 6 1/2" and there is no hint of dark color on the abdomen. I bought it as T. Apophysis but I'm tempted to wait for the next molt which might be several months away. At this point maybe I should inform the seller doubt has been cast on the ID of the spider.:?

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldnt llabel it apophysis, i personally from the pics would def say blondi.
Until a positive id can be made