ICU for T's?

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been reading all these posts lately that mention putting T's in ICU.
It still stands for Intensive Care Unit, correct? Is this an actuall seperate tank, used especially for emergencies, or is it just a figure of speech used to know when you really need to pay special care to your T's. If it's a seperate tank, does it need to be set up a certain way. I feel dumb! :wall: :wall:

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't feel alone Loaf... I too was wondering the same thing!

What are the requirements for an ICU?

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what i've seen people do...usually it's a seperate container and the bottom is lined with paper towel which can be kept a bit damp. I'm guessing it depends on the problem and the T though. It's used for emergencies.

~Fred

spidergirl07

Arachnopeon
An ICU is still intensive care unit, it means when a spider is sick or not doing well you set up a deli container of the appropriate size, put a layer of paper towl down, have lots of holes in the lid, and place it in a quiet and dark place for the spider to feel secure and safe with less stress. You can either wet the papertowel or leave it dry and put in a small water dish such as a bottle cap. It isolates the T that is sick and makes it easier to deal with the issues at hand and it is clean. Hope this clears things up Im sure that others will have more to say on this topic.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
An ICU is a substrate free sterile enclosure. I make my ICU's like this.......

Take a deli cup or tub and place some moist papertowels on the bottem. When I say moist I mean wet enough to have some water content but not dripping wet.

You then remove the ailing T and place her in that tub secure the lid and place her somewhere dark and warm. From then on out check on her only a few times a day to keep up with her status.

I personally have a roll of papertowels that I have sealed in plastic just for ICU's and egg sac hammocks.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
An ICU is still intensive care unit, it means when a spider is sick or not doing well you set up a deli container of the appropriate size, put a layer of paper towl down, have lots of holes in the lid, and place it in a quiet and dark place for the spider to feel secure and safe with less stress. You can either wet the papertowel or leave it dry and put in a small water dish such as a bottle cap. It isolates the T that is sick and makes it easier to deal with the issues at hand and it is clean. Hope this clears things up Im sure that others will have more to say on this topic.
I would not recommend leaving the paper towel dry....... elevated humidity is a good thing most of the time with sick T's so by wetting the towel you increase all that.

I had recently a M Robustum get out and then get found by the cat....... she was in ragid condition when I found her bleeding and in a semi death curl. After sealing the wound and placing her in a moist ICU three days later she perked right back up and is just fine..... she cast off one leg but its better then having her dead!

spidergirl07

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice, I had been told differnt once. Great to have all the experienced people here. Thanks for the correction.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not a problem! Thats what I like about the boards to, we all stand something to learn and have something to teach so this site is awesome. I just wish I had found it much much sooner.

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is exaclty why I love the boards. Everyone has been so helpful. Especially those who are experienced, I really appreciate them sharing their knowledge and experiences!

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks everyone! At least I will now know what needs to be done!

I do have one question... would the move to the ICU cause further stress? Or will they be a bit stressed but once they are in a secluded quiet area they will do better?

I was just wondering?

Thanks!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope liquid bandaid. That stuff seals the wound with one pass of the applicator.