Ichneumonidae

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
So I don't know if anyones kept these, but a few weeks ago I found this Itoplectis conquisitor and gave her a tiger moth coccoon I had (I think it was Spilosoma virginica). I watched her inspect the coccoon and oviposit for about 15 minutes. I'm already loving these lol, I'm going to try and raise wax moth larvae as hosts so I can actually breed this species, I'm just waiting for them to pupate so I can try it
20201113_090852.jpg 20201113_090318.jpg 20201113_090505~2.jpg

Arachnolover2

Arachnopeon
Wow! I love the Ichneumonidae genus! Parasitic wasps are sooo cool! And looka the female's colors! I don't know much about this specific species though. Do they lay their eggs in the cocoon of lepidopterids or do they lay their eggs in larvae/caterpillars? Maybe you would have success with horn/tomato worms since they are soft? Breeding may be difficult, but good luck!

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Wow! I love the Ichneumonidae genus! Parasitic wasps are sooo cool! And looka the female's colors! I don't know much about this specific species though. Do they lay their eggs in the cocoon of lepidopterids or do they lay their eggs in larvae/caterpillars? Maybe you would have success with horn/tomato worms since they are soft? Breeding may be difficult, but good luck!
Ich's and other parasites are very picky about their hosts. While there are plenty of parasites that oviposit in hornworms, I don't believe this is one of those.

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
Mostly coccoons but I've seen wild ones oviposit in both coccoons and caterpillars, after some trying I got her to lay eggs in a wax worm larva but it died a day later. It could've just died for some other reason though so I'll try it again tonight. I'll get horn worms tomorrow and see how it works! :)

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
Ich's and other parasites are very picky about their hosts. While there are plenty of parasites that oviposit in hornworms, I don't believe this is one of those.
Itoplectis aren't all that host specific compared to some other species, the main problem I can think of is the hornworm getting too big after it's been parasitized.

Arachnolover2

Arachnopeon
Itoplectis aren't all that host specific compared to some other species, the main problem I can think of is the hornworm getting too big after it's been parasitized.
What do you mean by it getting too big? Aren't they one of the species that weave their cocoons attached to the spiracles? Also, there is a really good nonfiction book called Parasite Rex, whiich talks in great detail about different parasites(mostly microscopic), including Plasmodium, Toxoplasmosis gondii, nematodes, and most relevant, a species of parasitic wasp, and how the wasp has a symbiotic/heritidary virus in its eggs that help destroy its host's immune system, allowing the larval wasps to survive.

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
What do you mean by it getting too big? Aren't they one of the species that weave their cocoons attached to the spiracles? Also, there is a really good nonfiction book called Parasite Rex, whiich talks in great detail about different parasites(mostly microscopic), including Plasmodium, Toxoplasmosis gondii, nematodes, and most relevant, a species of parasitic wasp, and how the wasp has a symbiotic/heritidary virus in its eggs that help destroy its host's immune system, allowing the larval wasps to survive.
It's Braconidae that do that, these ones need to eat the host entirely from the inside and then pupate in the empty exoskeleton/coccoon. I thought about getting the smallest hornworms and seeing if the Ichneumon larva grows faster

I really need to get that book now, I've been wanting to start keeping parasitic wasps for a while now. That's so cool!

Arachnolover2

Arachnopeon
It's Braconidae that do that, these ones need to eat the host entirely from the inside and then pupate in the empty exoskeleton/coccoon. I thought about getting the smallest hornworms and seeing if the Ichneumon larva grows faster

I really need to get that book now, I've been wanting to start keeping parasitic wasps for a while now. That's so cool!
Its probably avaliable at your local library, however be warned that much of the book is devoted to other parasites/not wasps. I also apologize for the misinformation, maybe hornworms won't work. I also find it interesting the they oviposit into the cocoons of some host species, I wonder how that works?

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
Its probably avaliable at your local library, however be warned that much of the book is devoted to other parasites/not wasps. I also apologize for the misinformation, maybe hornworms won't work. I also find it interesting the they oviposit into the cocoons of some host species, I wonder how that works?
The hornworm idea might be worth trying if I can get any small enough.
Also since some other species in the same genus will sometimes parasitize beetles, I gave mine a superworm.. and it actually worked :astonished:
20201118_232547~3.jpg 20201118_232553~3.jpg

Arachnolover2

Arachnopeon
Oh Wow! How many times can it ovoposit? Also, since I(apparently) know nothing about this genus, does it lay one egg per host, or more than one egg? Really wishing I could buy one of the ovoposited hosts from you lol.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Oh Wow! How many times can it ovoposit? Also, since I(apparently) know nothing about this genus, does it lay one egg per host, or more than one egg? Really wishing I could buy one of the ovoposited hosts from you lol.
oo yeah, curious if that is possible to ship them. how many hosts with eggs do you have now? :)

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
Females can keep producing eggs their whole life if they're well fed enough, and they live around 2 months. They only lay one egg per host, if there were more of them one larva would end up killing the others.
And it's like 30 days from egg to adult so it shouldn't be too hard to breed a lot of these!

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
oo yeah, curious if that is possible to ship them. how many hosts with eggs do you have now? :)
Ichneumonidae are pretty diverse, you can certainly get a lot of interesting species locally. Only problem with that would be identification and obtaining some hosts.