• Versi

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Curly Hair

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spiderguy

Arachnopeon
I will buy a Chilean Rosehair for 5-7 bucks. I am a begginer with tarantulas and I am 11 years old. Ever since my friend James Kakos told me about them I loved them and I liked learning about them. So if anyone would please sell me a Chilean Rose for 5-7 bucks I would appreiciate it a lot.
Thanks,
Cyrus=D

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even if someone was to sell you a spider for 5 to 7 dollars you would still have to pay for shipping.....which would be at least 25 dollars . So you would be looking at 30 to 32 dollars minumum. It would be cheaper for you and your parents to go to a Petco or other store and pay 16 to 20 dollars.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that is true. I have started about 5 people on their own spiders, and if you lived here, I would give you a spiderling, and tell you how to raise it. But since you are not, I'd go to a petstore, and buy one. We can help you figure out how to care for it, and I'm sure James can tell you as well.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
Even if someone was to sell you a spider for 5 to 7 dollars you would still have to pay for shipping.....which would be at least 25 dollars . So you would be looking at 30 to 32 dollars minumum. It would be cheaper for you and your parents to go to a Petco or other store and pay 16 to 20 dollars.
I completely agree too.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To help answer the question:

In my (very, Very) limited experience, I have loved out little rosehair.

Hes quite an amazing critter. Hes been held by at least 15 people, and never shown agression.. Now, that doesnt mean all rosehairs will be that way, Its just ours has.

I would stay with a scrubland species (like the rosehair) ambient moisture isnt critical (so long as its dry) And being a terrestrial spider, housing considerations can be had fairly cheap / easily.

Glad to see someone doing research before getting a pet. :)

Cheers!

-Jason

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that the brazillian black seems like a good idea. Although my first tarantula was a rosie and it was very docile (like a rock), there are quite a few people on this site that have shared their experience about having psycho rosies. So they are definately out there.

I cannot remember ever seeing anything negative written about a G. pulchra (brazillian black). They are supposed to be as docile as the reports of docile rosies. They get real big. They eat alot.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh. And I usually get my spiders from Swifty. He offers a non-insured delivery for spiders of 5 dollars. I have never had a problem. But since I guess you are up in Michigan, that might be a problem if you are still are getting cold weather. I don't know. I have also had good orders from spiderpatch.com. They also provide an uninsured method of delivery. I think one of the other major dealers does too, but I cant think of who that is.

Jon

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All of the above

I think they would all make good beginner species but I would take away points form the versi since it as an arboreal. I picked a Rosie on the poll since every collection needs one and you might as well start with it.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say Roise.... Very calm(well.... tha's if your nice to it;))... It was my first T.... But it got old... One sad part about 'owning' animals:(.. But if you want to buy one for under $10, id say go to a pet store.....

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
But if you want to buy one for under $10, id say go to a pet store.....
Now that I have never seen. The petstore that I've been in to always have them at at least $20.

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G rosea's are great beginner T's for sure. Another great choice might be a E campestratus. Very docile. You can actually turn one on its back while holding it and it will just lie there. Not a big hair kicker, but for the most part neither is a G rosea (mine would occasionally flick though). Its a pretty large specimen, with some interesting colors. Like a G rosea, very easy to care for. Perhaps a bit more of an eater than a G rosea also. Only reason I can see to get a G rosea over the E campestratus is the fact that you can goto Petco and buy one for about 12 bucks. I've heard some Petco's carry the E campestratus, but not in my area (check on ordering from them though). This of course means you'd have to shell out a few extra bucks on the E campestratus. I think Swifty is selling them for 8 bucks, (plus shipping) however, this is a 1/2" sling and might not be such a good idea for a beginner to raise a sling (some of course may disagree with that). Invertepet has a 4" E campestratus for 30 bucks (plus shipping). So, if you don't mind the higher price tag, go for the E campestratus. If you really want the cheaper one, go with the G rosea. Bottom line is you will love either one, and probably end up buying many more down the road. :D

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now that I have never seen. The petstore that I've been in to always have them at at least $20.
jesus! For a rosie? Thats insane! I would never pay over 10 bucks for one! Unless it was like really big female then mybe 16;)

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
WELCOME !!

It is a great and addictive hobby to be a part of .... :)

I hate to be the parent police, but .....

Please just make sure that whatever you may decide, you make sure and run it by your parents for permission first. :D

Debby

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoever said petstores know 'appropriate' pricing for everything/anything? :)

To be a bit more on-topic though, I'd vote for the Avic. Sure, they might hide in their webs alot, but when they come out they look ever so graceful. Ever seen a fat terrestrial trying to climb? They're like goblins.
Plus, you won't have to have a constant fear of dropping and killing it, should you handle it. Not to say you should not be careful, of course.

Last edited:

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Personally I think that the Pink Zebra Beauty is the best beginner's tarantula. But since it wasn't on the poll I went with the Brazilian Black.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
With cost not an issue, the Brazilian Black is clearly the best beginner tarantula possible. It looks good, and is the most docile tarantula money can buy because there has yet to be a documented case of it biting someone. They are very hardy as well. 1/1000 rosehairs will bite and generally have strange habits but they are good beginners as well and will be cheap.

Mark

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
James should help you with everything.. Hes a good guy.. And sharp as a tack when it comes to taking care of T's...

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I voted on the Brazilian Black, because as someone stated they are much better eaters than Rosies. I personally haven't seen aggression from either species. Everyone speaking of prices at pet stores. I just went to Pet Supplies Plus and purchased a Heteroscodra maculata for 14.99.

Andy

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
James should help you with everything.. Hes a good guy.. And sharp as a tack when it comes to taking care of T's...
yeah, i called him and let him know. He said if he had a wuistion he will ask me from now on. Oh yeah thanks for the compliment hampton :D =D

James