I was tagged by my p Metallica

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I would have had to get rid of my two B. smithi unless I wore the surgical gloves. I wear them all the time because of the urticating hair. I always use tongs when doing maintenance in all enclosures, but even having my hands in close proximity of their enclosure would make me itch. Plus, they kick hairs the moment I even look at them, so doing anything with them brings a high risk of coming in contact with their hairs - even just opening the lid disturbs the hairs that are everywhere.
Now, I just use them for everyone and things have been great. I was miserable before. And, I feel much better dealing with the crickets too.
However, I would never be under the illusion that they would protect me from a bite at all. They are only successful protection against urticating hairs.
Wow, you're sensitive to them, aren't you? I knew that there were different reactions between people, but I didn't know it was that severe. Sure, my B. smithi makes me itch, but only if I actually got haired or I'm changing the substrate for whatever reason. The only bad reaction I've gotten is from T. stirmi.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I havenT been using them around my T's yet, but might have to when they get bigger, but I will go ahead and recommend nitrile gloves over latex gloves. They're thicker but still provide ample dexterity. I use them for working on my car, they actually provide very minor protection from snags (more than latex at least) so I'm sure hair wouldn't pass through. Still not thick enough to damage a fang though :)

They also fit more snug, which I liked while working in tight spaces.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Wow, you're sensitive to them, aren't you?
It's funny because I never was until the B. smithi. I have never had to wear gloves with anyone else... ever. But, it seems that I am particularly sensitive to their hairs. Whether that is due to the hairs from that species specifically, or caused by the sheer volume of hair that they release, I'm not sure. I could probably get away with no gloves for everyone else, but I don't bother. I just put them on at the beginning and avoid any contact with any of them.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyway, being you I would take nothing, aside for hot water just after the bite (according to someone that trick partially works for reduce the pain... don't know, never been bitten).

A visit to E.R when those are involved, as you know, is something to consider and not an option. Stay safe always.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I actually do wear gloves when cleaning the roach colonies :D Those things are gross. The females secrete this fluid that gets sticky very quickly, and it's neigh impossible to wash off. So, when I'm dealing with a few thousand roaches... then yeah, gloves all the way. I learned really quick, though, to put rubber bands around my wrists to prevent roaches from crawling into the gloves.
Just got 200 dubias to convince my parents they aren't your typical roach.. My dad did pest extermination before, so he treated it as "all roaches are just pests" They don't smell, which is great, but I have seen them secret a fluid when picked up. Is that the fluid you speak of?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just got 200 dubias to convince my parents they aren't your typical roach.. My dad did pest extermination before, so he treated it as "all roaches are just pests" They don't smell, which is great, but I have seen them secret a fluid when picked up. Is that the fluid you speak of?
Yeah, they do that too, but I think that's just bile being forced out. That especially happens after feeding fresh fruits/veggies. No, what I'm talking about feels completely different. I only deal with it when handling mature females, I have no idea where it even comes from. It's clear and just feels like water at first, but it turns into sticky syrup after a few minutes. You don't really notice it with a couple females, but once you deal with a hundred or so, it's very apparent.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Yeah, they do that too, but I think that's just bile being forced out. That especially happens after feeding fresh fruits/veggies. No, what I'm talking about feels completely different. I only deal with it when handling mature females, I have no idea where it even comes from. It's clear and just feels like water at first, but it turns into sticky syrup after a few minutes. You don't really notice it with a couple females, but once you deal with a hundred or so, it's very apparent.
Oh okay. Yeah mine are all nymphs at the moment.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I don't feel that it is necessary to wear gloves. Everything that gets on you hands can be washed of and as long as you don't come into contact with harsh chemicals I don't see any problem for your Ts with whats on your hands.
Also, remember that @Poec54 has well over a hundred spiders IIRC. That's potentially a LOT of nasty stuff getting on you when feeding and watering.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I will go ahead and recommend nitrile gloves over latex gloves. They're thicker but still provide ample dexterity.

They also fit more snug, which I liked while working in tight spaces.

My glove of choice is powder-free vinyl. I have big hands and get XL's, as tight gloves cause hand fatigue. One-size-fits-all doesn't work for me.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Also, remember that @Poec54 has well over a hundred spiders IIRC. That's potentially a LOT of nasty stuff getting on you when feeding and watering.

Tropicals are the worst offenders (and most of mine are). As I do maintenance, the vast majority of water bowls have some combination of substrate/bolus/feces in them. It's an uncommon experience to be able to go 5 cages in a row without having to clean or replace a water bowl. Between that and unstacking & stacking cages, it takes a couple hours just to feed/water one section. Wearing gloves not only serves as a contamination barrier between me and the spiders, but also allows me to work faster, by occasionally picking up things with my hands instead of always trying to manipulate forceps/tweezers.

Do what you want, but for me, the gloves go on when I work in the spider room.

crawley07

Arachnopeon
I was saved by the gloves I got tagged with one fag. I would never go in for any maintenance without those gloves ever. The other dang didn't make through the glove spider is okay. All is well. Hand was red and swollen similar to a bee sting

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was in my p Metallica enclosure for regular maintenance. Had my gloves on the ones that are worn in hospitals thin latex gloves. It doesn't seem bad it is red on my right hand index finger no bleeding it is bit swollen. Shall I take benedrl? To be on safe side? I kept my hand in hot water for at least 20 mins. This happened at 7:36 pm central time and I felt a bit nauseous. It is now 10 o clock.
This belongs in the bite reports.