I was so proud, but then...

TeaandTs

Arachnopeon
I was really proud of my little Bea. Usually, she wastes no time depositing as much dirt as she can carry with her pedipalps into her water dish. I assumed maybe it was too humid in there, so I let the enclosure dry out, then put in a fresh water dish and dripped into it a few drops of water, rather than fill it. For two days, she left it. She even DRANK from it. I was proud of us both. I had solved one of the most puzzling of behaviours, and she had learned the proper use of a water dish.

But it turns out she was just saving her energy. For what? Only her biggest bulldozing project yet.
20161214_225609.jpg
20161214_225826.jpg
20161214_225836.jpg
And now, there is no substrate in her burrow. But she seems proud of herself. She was happily grooming when I found her, and I swear I heard her laugh.
20161214_230025.jpg
Point taken, little girl. Water bowls are for dirt, and only dirt. I apologise for my ignorance. I am but a lowly human, after all.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
But she seems proud of herself. She was happily grooming when I found her, and I swear I heard her laugh.
Hahaha, it's a game for her! I just had a similar run in with one of my P. Cambridgei today. He filled his water dish with dirt and had his little head poking out looking at me, he then slowly backed up into his hole and I too, am certain I heard a slight, deap, menacing chuckle.

TeaandTs

Arachnopeon
Hahaha, it's a game for her! I just had a similar run in with one of my P. Cambridgei today. He filled his water dish with dirt and had his little head poking out looking at me, he then slowly backed up into his hole and I too, am certain I heard a slight, deap, menacing chuckle.
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it is indeed a game. And that tarantulas are secretly laughing at their weird hairless food-providers. And hey, at the end of the day, I'm just as happy to keep filling up her water dish whether it provides actual hydration or just something to do while sitting around in a deli cup all day. :)

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
I was really proud of my little Bea. Usually, she wastes no time depositing as much dirt as she can carry with her pedipalps into her water dish. I assumed maybe it was too humid in there, so I let the enclosure dry out, then put in a fresh water dish and dripped into it a few drops of water, rather than fill it. For two days, she left it. She even DRANK from it. I was proud of us both. I had solved one of the most puzzling of behaviours, and she had learned the proper use of a water dish.

But it turns out she was just saving her energy. For what? Only her biggest bulldozing project yet.
View attachment 227061
View attachment 227063
View attachment 227064
And now, there is no substrate in her burrow. But she seems proud of herself. She was happily grooming when I found her, and I swear I heard her laugh.
View attachment 227065
Point taken, little girl. Water bowls are for dirt, and only dirt. I apologise for my ignorance. I am but a lowly human, after all.
My G. pulchra does the same thing. Makes me think I'm going to see her drink her freshly changed water. Only to watch her take a load of coconut fiber to the dish and drop it in.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ahahah ablo will be albo :p

I think sometimes they do this to block drafts and create more humidity. I only think of this because the smaller they are the more hey enjoy humidity. I am yet to see any of my adults fill a dish with sub.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
I banned water dish for my A. geniculata because she kept filling it up all the time, there was no point having it xD

Risto N

Arachnopeon

View attachment 227061
View attachment 227063
View attachment 227064
View attachment 227065

View attachment 227061
View attachment 227063
View attachment 227064
View attachment 227065
This makes my .5" B. vagans water cap shenanigans look like child's play! Hahaha

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

I think sometimes they do this to block drafts and create more humidity. I only think of this because the smaller they are the more hey enjoy humidity. I am yet to see any of my adults fill a dish with sub.
My adult male B.albopilosum would like a word with you ;)

TeaandTs

Arachnopeon

Other than in her water dish, mine also likes to make a wall of substrate in the direction of where most of the light comes from, so I kind of wonder if she thinks she's walling off the mouth of her burrow. I'm really interested to see whether she keeps these behaviours as an adult or not.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have some Bumba cabocla and all I see is substrate everywhere. even all over the lid. never see the spiders though :shifty: