I was just going to see friends...

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Well, I wasn't going to go to the reptile show today but I decided to go just to see some of my friends there. Yea, fat chance I'd get out empty handed. I saw two deals that I just couldn't pass up and so I now have 2 one and a half inch H.gigas and 3 half inch orange bitey things. I figured since I was doing so well with the other "nasties" I got I may as well make the jump to the T Terrors since they are so lovely when grown up. The little usumbaras already have a hint of orange on them. I guess you could call them my Halloween gift to myself LOL. I was surprised that they really weren't as bad as I thought they might be. Fast and eagerly munching crixs already, but they went into the new houses without much trouble. The H. gigas actually gave me more of a run for my money - literally - the one tried to make a break for it but I was transfering inside a large plastic tote so all was well. Any insider advice from current owners of these two won't go to waste, though there has already been a ton of good information posted - especially on the usumbaras. Which reminds me - how are your babies doing Holley?

Gail

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
Well, I wasn't going to go to the reptile show today but I decided to go just to see some of my friends there. Yea, fat chance I'd get out empty handed. I saw two deals that I just couldn't pass up and so I now have 2 one and a half inch H.gigas and 3 half inch orange bitey things. I figured since I was doing so well with the other "nasties" I got I may as well make the jump to the T Terrors since they are so lovely when grown up. The little usumbaras already have a hint of orange on them. I guess you could call them my Halloween gift to myself LOL. I was surprised that they really weren't as bad as I thought they might be. Fast and eagerly munching crixs already, but they went into the new houses without much trouble. The H. gigas actually gave me more of a run for my money - literally - the one tried to make a break for it but I was transfering inside a large plastic tote so all was well. Any insider advice from current owners of these two won't go to waste, though there has already been a ton of good information posted - especially on the usumbaras. Which reminds me - how are your babies doing Holley?

Gail
usumbaras=tough as nails, keep em dry with a smallish water dish that dries up between weekly fillings.......webbing machines! I have never seen any defensive behaviour from mine, it stays in its hide most of the time. not much else I can add that has not already been mentioned.
Ed

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
Well, I wasn't going to go to the reptile show today but I decided to go just to see some of my friends there. Yea, fat chance I'd get out empty handed.
Clearly your subconscious wanted more tarantulas and your superconscious did a wonderful job of deluding itself. This is like when you're at the bar casually drinking with friends and one person offers to buy a round of shots and you tell yourself very plainly, "Well, just this one and then I've got to get going..."

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just wait till they are bigger Gail lol mine never hesitate to show me the 2 big black fangs they have under them... real bullies they are!

I got 2 of the orange demons... one was psycho always going aggro on me and trying to bite me through the deli cup it was in... the other was pretty calm and quiet.

I decided that I would put the nutcase into its cage first so that I could finish the night on an easy spider... man was I wrong!!! The nutcase actually went in without a fight... the nice calm quiet one exploded into all kinds of fight as soon as the lid came off that deli cup!

I somehow managed to unpack 2 orange demons and a cobalt blue with an attitude proble without taking a bite. This calls for a beer.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Re: Re: I was just going to see friends...

Originally posted by Code Monkey
Clearly your subconscious wanted more tarantulas and your superconscious did a wonderful job of deluding itself. This is like when you're at the bar casually drinking with friends and one person offers to buy a round of shots and you tell yourself very plainly, "Well, just this one and then I've got to get going..."
LOL yes, as I look back on the day I'm sure you are right there - hindsight is 20 / 20 or so they say :D

Gail

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris
I somehow managed to unpack 2 orange demons and a cobalt blue with an attitude proble without taking a bite. This calls for a beer.
Oh hell yeah! :D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
sorry Gail, I missed your question at the end of your post!
They all molted into 2nd instar and are all looking very well now, thanks. Only had 3-4 of the deformed ones die, the rest molted and are now normal looking. I think I have 34-35 total, I can never remember.
I am keeping a few, the rest are going to the owner of the male. I am thinking I'm going to get another eggsac very soon, so I should have quite a few more if all goes well!

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Yea Holley, I kinda snuck that question in at the end :D Glad to hear that they are doing well. The little devils I've got have grown on me already. Sure do web and eat a lot! I'm glad I got a spine and decided to try the less docile species - I was missing out on some very nice spiders. Just wondering if you or anyone else knows how long they take to mature? If the males mature fast and any are males I just might be asking you if your female is lookin' for love again in a couple of years LOL

Gail