I want to start breeding Grammostola rosea...

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone
I've had a female G. Rosea that's about 5 years old, and i'd like to breed it.
Here's the problem: i've never done it before and i don't know anyone anywhere nearby that has any inverts.... could some one help me out?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
There are links here that's all about breeding. Here's a better question though, let's say you find someone who has a male that you buy right out, no breeding loans and the breeding is successful. What are you going to do with 500+ slings? That's quite a bit of space and A LOT of feedings and A LOT of time. Have you ever shipped live animals before? I'm not trying to discourage you from breeding, just take into consideration that if you can't find a wholesaler, or anyone around that would be interested in buying, you're going to be overwhelmed with babies :p Also, with breeding, you'll need an incubator for the eggs. @louise f has a link to a video of the one she made. She has also bred successfully several times.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
There are links here that's all about breeding. Here's a better question though, let's say you find someone who has a male that you buy right out, no breeding loans and the breeding is successful. What are you going to do with 500+ slings? That's quite a bit of space and A LOT of feedings and A LOT of time. Have you ever shipped live animals before? I'm not trying to discourage you from breeding, just take into consideration that if you can't find a wholesaler, or anyone around that would be interested in buying, you're going to be overwhelmed with babies :p Also, with breeding, you'll need an incubator for the eggs. @louise f has a link to a video of the one she made. She has also bred successfully several times.
Alright, i see the risk. I'd rather wait until i'm out of school to start breeding, but thanks for the info!

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
G rosea grows really really slow. A lot of people won't buy them as slings for this reason. Someone please correct me of I am wrong, but, I *think* most rosehairs from petstores are actually mutts.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Nope. I mean mutts. I'm probably incorrect.. but, I've heard that most of the pet store rosehairs are actually a mix of roseas, porteri, and northern types.
No, this is probably incorrect. Those rose hairs literally take so long to breed that I would be extremely surprised if they were carrying any hybrids. Everything they have is from imports, nowadays mostly "northern type".

EDIT:

I am also breeding my rosea right now.... been waiting 1+ year on a sac, these guys really teach you patience!

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Nope. I mean mutts. I'm probably incorrect.. but, I've heard that most of the pet store rosehairs are actually a mix of roseas, porteri, and northern types.
The wast majority of them are wild caught specimens, at least in Europe. I can´t see any reasons for it to be different in the US. (The Chilean export ban is quite recent and before that no one really bothered to breed them)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A pet store's stock is universally wild caught. That's why they're able to sell adult females for $20. If someone invested 7+ years into raising a G. rosea/porteri to adulthood, you better believe they'd sell it for more than $20. That's not to say that you get what you buy. I bought a G. rosea as my first tarantula, and now that I know better, she is most certainly a G. porteri.

Expect to see those species fall to the wayside, however. Tightening of import laws have suddenly made those species a tad harder to come by. That's why it's much more common to find Avicularia and Aphonopelma in pet stores these days.

cold blood

Staff member
Hey everyone
I've had a female G. Rosea that's about 5 years old, and i'd like to breed it.
Here's the problem
Lol, actually here's the problem:p, either she's much much older than you believe (if she's mature), or she isn't even close to being mature yet. Even under ideal conditions it would probably take at least 10 years or (probably) more to mature.

She's likely at least 3 times older than you believe, possibly older than that....since most are wild caught, it could practically be any age over 10.
G rosea grows really really slow. A lot of people won't buy them as slings for this reason. Someone please correct me of I am wrong, but, I *think* most rosehairs from petstores are actually mutts.
I totally agree with the others...most are WC, and therefore of the purest lineage, having never had human input/manipulation in its breeding.