I want to keep orthochirus sp.

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
I was wondering if any orthochirus sp are available in the US. They look really cool. Has anyone kept them? What is their venom level? I heard they are also communal, is this true?

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they are cool but not very many around realy
they are real small the venom is a 1 or 2 out of 5 so there not realy bad at all
as i remember they are communal as adults
as long as they have enough food they are good

i dont have mine anymore i didnt keep mine together tho
but watch the classifieds or put a wtb in there

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
stopped keeping them, they grow sooooooooooooooooo slooooooooowwww, yawn........

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
well then i might just get soooooommmeeeeee aaaaddddduuuuuulllttttttttssssssss tttttthhhhhhhheeeeeeennnnnn :rolleyes:

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These cool looking scorpions are so notorious for growing so slowly, I'm curious if they grow as slowly as an Emperor scorpion or, say, a Heterometrus species?

If these two species have about the same rate then I can handle it. Their cuteness make up for it!!

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think they grow a bit slower than either of those haha
but they are cool ill get more again hahaha

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
southernspiderworks.com but it seems that they are closing or something
they dont have them anymore or any scorps:mad:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are cool, gotta agree to that. I have kept O.s.negebensis and O.fuscipes and their sensory behaviour (the tailwaiving) is interesting, I mean I think it is interesting....Even in Europe you don't see them offered for sale regularly....

Another thing that I see in the EU is "hype following", people buying the newest species everytime, and stop keeping and breeding older species. This is also a factor that makes species dissapear in the hobby.

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah when i first saw that tail waving it was funny i thought it had a itch or something hahaha

but Michiel is right it is very very true that is why you dont see alot of the stuff that
was around a couple years back people didnt keep it going and they are gone or very little of them

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah when i first saw that tail waving it was funny i thought it had a itch or something hahaha

but Michiel is right it is very very true that is why you dont see alot of the stuff that
was around a couple years back people didnt keep it going and they are gone or very little of them
Thses guys are so cool. I just got a nice group 2:2 this afternoon. I'll be trying to breed them of coarse. Cross your fingers.

Avery

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've always been a big fan of these scorpions, but have never owned any. One day someone will be selling them in Canada...

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thses guys are so cool. I just got a nice group 2:2 this afternoon. I'll be trying to breed them of coarse. Cross your fingers.
What Orthochirus sp did you get? I won't ask where you got them...but someone else might.;)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What Orthochirus sp did you get? I won't ask where you got them...but someone else might.;)
Not sure on the species. Maybe O.innesi. I got them from Alex (TCO) From what I understand a few came into the country as young A biclor. I got a gravid H judaicus sold as A bicolor at the same time.

john

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure on the species. Maybe O.innesi. I got them from Alex (TCO) From what I understand a few came into the country as young A biclor. I got a gravid H judaicus sold as A bicolor at the same time.

john
Interesting. Too bad we are only expanding the scorp hobby by mostly mistakes recently.

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

john
Orthochirus innesi is definitely possible due to the fact that all those Orthochirus came in on a Egyptian import. Its more likely Orthochirus s negebensis only because the yellow coloration on the legs doesn't extent the length of the legs, but i could be wrong. I hope someone out there can deal with their super slow growth time so i can eventually nab me up a breeding colony.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are cool, gotta agree to that. I have kept O.s.negebensis and O.fuscipes and their sensory behaviour (the tailwaiving) is interesting, I mean I think it is interesting....Even in Europe you don't see them offered for sale regularly....

Another thing that I see in the EU is "hype following", people buying the newest species everytime, and stop keeping and breeding older species. This is also a factor that makes species dissapear in the hobby.
The tail waiving as in they move the erect tail in some short abrupt "shocks" like signalling? I have a few species here that do that too (vaejovids afaik). More so in juveniles. Maybe it's "Hey, I am a sibling, don't eat me"? Or "Stay away or I eat you".

As for slow growth how slow is slow? I am raising Diplocentrus bereai and out of six, four are still not adult. They were born in July, 2006. So 4.5 years to get adult, maybe a little more. But I love it that they grow slow. That and it being quite a small species.