I want t own my own pet shop! help!

petertaal

Arachnopeon
Are tarantulas legal to sell in pet shops? And wer can i get cheap tarantulas to sell? I'm planning to open a small pet shop! More on selling tarantulas and scorpions if you have suggestions please reply!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes its legal in the US to sell tarantulas in pet stores...... as for where to get them cheap you just have to watch out for deals and buy lots. Most of the time you need to get babies and raise them yourself to make any kind of real money.

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can also try talking to some online dealers about a business account. most of the dealer's will probably want you to deal only with them, but just try and explain that sometimes they may not have the size or species in stock etc. etc. Businesses helping Businesses is how the corporate world goes round.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You should be able to get Ts from the suppliers that you would get other animals from. Either that or try to find private breeders to get your animals from. If you do that you can advertise that you sell only animals bred by private breeders. They tend to be in better health in general.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would defiantely reccomend buying T's from breeders only. Pet store supplier T's are 99% wild caught, an d haven't been cared for properly so they aren't usually in good health.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
best idea IMO is probably purchase in bulk until your experienced enough to breed your own, then its much better profit.

But honestly I dont think T's and Scorpions are popular enough to open a store up around them. If i were to open a store I would make it like most, except have a much better section for T's and other inverts.

petertaal

Arachnopeon
ok i'll think about all of your suggestions so i think i will be opening a pet shop of all kinds birds insects and other animals.. how much do you guys think i should have to for thye store!

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you mean how many different animals? or how much will it cost to open a store? I have no clue on costs. But if your interested in exotics thats what I would stick to (so basically reptiles, amphibians, inverts, and some birds, plus anything else i might just be overlooking).

petertaal

Arachnopeon
i see ok cool.. does anyone have a price list on t's????

ow yeah this is pedro! dont know what type of tarantula he is but i like him!

Attachments

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
petertaal,

Where are you from? Your questions can be answered much easier if we know your location.

Edit:

Nevermind. I know where you're from, I saw you in PPF. Thee are currently no clear cut rules or regulations governing the sale of Ts and scorps in our country. I would assume it would be illegal if you operate without a permit from the environment and wildlife bureau. Also, there aren't that many local inverts hobbyist to sustain your pet shop. It would be best if you sold tropical fish and birds and just sell a few inverts. Besides, getting different species will be difficult.

Last edited:

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dude- you need to do some serious checking into what animals are allowed to be sold in your area, and also a prospectus of pet sales so you don't go under in 6 months, and if possible, what are the most popular pets in your area, as well as the most popular pet supplies being sold. This is only good business sense.
Now-- if you care about the caliber of animals that you will sell, and also the treatment of them -you can look into alternative sources such as private dealers........commercial animal dealers only care about the bottom line.. which is the almighty $$$$$$......and you will get healthier and happier animals if you can buy from other sources. I don't mean to sound harsh,but there is a hugh problem in the pet trade with people treating their animals like merchandise, and a pet store is a MAJOR commitment-- it isn't like opening a regular store where you can leave your stock for a couple of days-- you have to be there each and every day!
I have a T that was a rescue from a dealer that just left all his animals because of debt, and the only survivors were a few baby rats and my T! That is the mindset of some of the people in the business- they have no heart and just don't care about the lives they are responsible for!
Sorry-- I don't mean to rant at you, but I feel really strongly about this....good luck to ya!:)

petertaal

Arachnopeon
I care for my own T's and will not let anything happen to them! other them eating the crix! ahahaha and even though i'm thinking of selling them! I will take good care of them! ok! thanks!