I want a pet (cave) house centipede

Liona

Arachnopeon
For years now I have wanted a house centipede as a pet and I just learned last month that cave variants of house centipedes are really big and I really want to get one, but I don't know how I would take care of it, I don't know what it will eat, I don't know what I would put it in, I don't even know how I would get a cave house centipede.
Any tips? Links would be very much appreciated

hecklad

Arachnosquire
For years now I have wanted a house centipede as a pet and I just learned last month that cave variants of house centipedes are really big and I really want to get one, but I don't know how I would take care of it, I don't know what it will eat, I don't know what I would put it in, I don't even know how I would get a cave house centipede.
Any tips? Links would be very much appreciated
Getting one would be your biggest challenge as those big ones only live pretty deep down in Borneo I think. As they're really big you would probably want to use like a 29 gallon tank at least. With it being a troglodyte, I imagine it would not be too picky with food as they usually just eat what they can get, so it could be fed superworms, crickets, roaches, and probably even small lizards. The biggest challenge would be if it needs to stay at cave temps; it might not need to, but if it did, you would need some way to cool the tank or a basement that keeps a cool constant temperature.

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Whoa , I just saw a video with some guy handling these things, they are ENORMOUS and terrifying lol. I would love to have one of these, they would be an amazing show tank. If you ever figure it out , feel free to let us know lol. Breed them then sell them in the hobby

andy1997

Arachnopeon
I assume you're talking about these. Yeah, the giant Asian scutigeromorphs are my dream inverts, but I've never seen any for sale. I think I read an old thread on here where someone owned some, but I don't remember.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I saw some photos of a captive one in Asia (Hong Kong, I think) a couple of years ago, have never seen any offered for sale. Count me as another person wishing I could get one.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Join the club. Even a regular Scutigera coleoptrata would be nice, but alas, I can't find them in my house.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Join the club. Even a regular Scutigera coleoptrata would be nice, but alas, I can't find them in my house.
They are more common back east from my experience, although the rare(er) "Golden" variety is only found in Arizona.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
We have them where I work. They're almost impossible to catch with anything other than a catch cup. And unfortunately I can't carry a catch cup around at work.

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
We get a yellow variant here in the falls that reach almost 6in but I’ve never came close to catching one lol

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I've caught them before, its just a matter of getting them before they are alarmed and take off.

@SonsofArachne, you don't have a CCCCP (Concealed Catch-Cup Carry Permit)??

@BuzzSwole, wow! Do you have photos?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
Noooo they are nightmarishly fast. I picked up a rock and this bugger went up my arm across my chest down my leg and finally under a another rock three feet away. It took my brain a second to even process what happened lol

dord

Arachnopeon
I believe I heard there were some big scutigeromorpha imported to the USA once a long time ago, but that many died in a short period of time and none reproduced.