I thought I was ready!

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
My avic avic girl is super fast. She climbed up my arm and around my back in a blink. I just grabbed the lid to her kk and reached around to my back with it. I could feel where she was on my back so I placed it next to her and she climbed onto it. Then I put her right back into the kk by placing the lid next to the enclosure and she climbed right back in. She's definitely a fast one. I've since then rehomed her into a larger enclosure and that went without incident.

No worries man. We have all been there. The first time my GBB jumped it's food while I was still placing it with the tongs caused me to almost drop the tongs in the enclosure. Both me and the T were startled. :D
This exact scenario happened to me yesterday. My avic avic jumped a good distance and got her cricket right off the tongs. It did startle me a bit, but it was also super cool. I was a little bummed that none of my other family members were there to see this feeding response from her.

Have a friend jump out and scare you repeatedly until you dont jump :p

I joke aha it would never really work anyway
My husband thinks it's funny to try and startle me while I'm doing anything related to husbandry with my T or even if I'm just looking at her. It's quite annoying. He thinks it's hilarious. It's actually starting to piss me off.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
My husband thinks it's funny to try and startle me while I'm doing anything related to husbandry with my T or even if I'm just looking at her. It's quite annoying. He thinks it's hilarious. It's actually starting to piss me off.
Thats terrible, next time hes cooking keep pushing him toward the hot pan...or when hes in sketchy rush hour traffic keep poking him in the face.

When he flys off the handle remind him that what he does is no differrent....what hes doing is not only stupid, but childish on top of being incredibly annoyying and potentially hazerdous.

Update:

I picked up this P. Murinus and rehoused it today, super awesome experience. It went great despite several complications, I reacted very well to everything, and was hardly nervous. Super excited to start up with more OWs :happy:

View attachment 228195
Maybe i made the re housings look too easy.

If we had talked first, i would have done everything i could to discourage an obt.

If you recall, we both decided it was still too soon for an ezendami sling....which is one of the easiest ow terrestrials to deal with. Obts can be significantly more flighty AND bitey. And man, they grow really really fast, meaning one has little chance of advancing themselves as fast as they grow....like viper mentioned.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Thats terrible, next time hes cooking keep pushing him toward the hot pan...or when hes in sketchy rush hour traffic keep poking him in the face.

When he flys off the handle remind him that what he does is no differrent....what hes doing is not only stupid, but childish on top of being incredibly annoyying and potentially hazerdous.
Agreed. I've definitely shown my annoyance with him over this and explained why it's dangerous.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Agreed. I've definitely shown my annoyance with him over this and explained why it's dangerous.
I would be furious. I tell my husband i'm busy with the spiders and not to be disturbed for anything except emergencies. Especially now, when i am into more dangerous species.
Maybe you should show him Coldbloods post.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Don't get me wrong, I definitely see where you all are coming from, and maybe I should have asked you guys before jumping the gun. But I definitely feel ready, if im not, well I don't think I've seen a new bite report lately lol. But in all seriousness, I spend a ridiculous amount of time with my Ts as well as generally learning about them, and there is a lot more NW species I have on my list before I start getting every OW I can. Yes, I do realise I probably just sound like a dumb novice, but I don't doubt myself in the least bit.

I'm not gonna lie, it felt like I made the original post months ago... Time sure doesn't fly

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I like watching unboxing and rehousing vids w obt's :) serious question: How in the heck could anyone box an adult obt?

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
With that said I am a very confident person, so I've convinced myself "I'm just so ready for an old world!" :shifty: boy can I be naive sometimes.
It's not that you have to see where anyone is coming from or ask anyone's permission to buy a type of tarantula. The problem is you set the tone of the stage. You told us of your setback and the realization that you weren't ready for an OW. We think "wise choice" and 2 1/2 weeks later it's "I bought an OBT".

I like watching unboxing and rehousing vids w obt's :) serious question: How in the heck could anyone box an adult obt?
Bribe it with a dollar? lol

Last edited:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
It's not that you have to see where anyone is coming from or ask anyone's permission to buy a type of tarantula. The problem is you set the tone of the stage. You told us of your setback and the realization that you weren't ready for an OW. We think "wise choice" and 2 1/2 weeks layer it's "I bought an OBT".
I second this - not that I know your situation or really know anything about you - but there's an enormous amount of irony and face-palm worthiness in this thread! :D We all keep Ts differently and progress differently so who knows, you may be ready. I know that I personally have been keeping for over 8 years and still wouldn't consider myself 'ready' for an OBT. Hence not having one :p

...if I'm not, well I don't think I've seen a new bite report lately lol
I will now be eagerly watching the Bite Reports forums :D

(Just to clarify, I am not saying I want you to get bitten. Please don't, both for your own sake and the sake of that little orange floof you've got there ;):zipit:)

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Possibly a lot of crying involved?

It's not that you have to see where anyone is coming from or ask anyone's permission to buy a type of tarantula. The problem is you set the tone of the stage. You told us of your setback and the realization that you weren't ready for an OW. We think "wise choice" and 2 1/2 weeks later it's "I bought an OBT".
I know it doesn't make sense to most people here, but 2 1/2 weeks was enough time for me, not only that, but I learn the best by jumpimg right into things. If I don't do that I become too timid and doubt myself.

Attachments

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Possibly a lot of crying involved?

I know it doesn't make sense to most people here, but 2 1/2 weeks was enough time for me, not only that, but I learn the best by jumpimg right into things. If I don't do that I become too timid and doubt myself.

P.S that gif is someone boxing an OBT

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its easy once you have done it a few times. Though bolts are always possible. Just got to be as prepared as possible.

Tomorrow I have to pack some AF murinus,chordatus,:mask:lugardi:mask:(which always want to kill me when packinga aha) and an AF C. meridionalis and H. pulchripes.

There will be many cola bottles catch cups at the ready.. as always.

cold blood

Staff member
For comparison, i kept new worlds for a decade before getting my first ow, an A. ezendami sling. As a result, my transition to ow was a seamless one lacking all the "drama" we see so often with people too eager to jump right into the deep end.

Theres no shame in taking it slow, in fact i feel pride in that decision.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
For comparison, i kept new worlds for a decade before getting my first ow, an A. ezendami sling. As a result, my transition to ow was a seamless one lacking all the "drama" we see so often with people too eager to jump right into the deep end.

Theres no shame in taking it slow, in fact i feel pride in that decision.
I'm just saying I've learned everything deep end first, and I trust myself at this point. But you know I trust you Dennis. If you think it's that bad of an idea I'll get rid of it and wait until I have some more experience.

cold blood

Staff member
Enjoy it for now, but in a few months when its re house time, you can re evaluate....just let me know, i can give you a hand either re housing or re homing it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i think a P muticus would be a good OW if youre dead set on them. pick up a 1" sling, it will never outgrow your experience lol.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thats about the size of the one I got
Pelinobius muticus (king baboon) ;) not Pterinochilus murinus (orange baboon)
easy to keep and good eaters, they get around 9" and are fairly easy to find. the only downside is their very slow growth rate. it takes around 10 years to get full adult size.