I think this is funny.

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was looking at the Bite reports and found that G rosea has more bite reports than any other T. The only thread that came close was a Pterinochilus murinus. I think its funny cause the rosea is "supposed" to be a rather docile T. ha ha. I laugh to type that because my rosea is as mean as an OBT!! Good old rosea's.

I do realize that not all bites are reported, but its still funny that a rosea out bit a murinus.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its most likely due to the fact that rosie are such a widely kept species and one of the most handled one too.
I had a nasty ol' girl, I'm sure she would have nailed me if given the chance.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is until you realize just how many G. roseas there out there and that most of us have had at least one of them. Also many people who would never ever consider picking up a murinus will pick up a rosea.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, and also the fact that rosie's are probably the number 1 recommended 'beginner' tarantula. So there are probably more owned by people with very little experience of keeping Ts, who won't know the warning signs as well. Murinus tend not to be many people's first spiders ;)

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My rosea is a traitor too. She'd rather threat me than eat! And that's saying a lot, she LOVES to eat! I don't know why roseas are supposed to be beginners, well I know of course, but there are more docile species out there and more gorgeous too. aye me......

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah I have to agree, I would always recommend a G. aureostriata over a G. rosea for someone's first T. Exactly the same care requirements, and less chance of getting a psycho, lol.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
More Handling More Chances of getting Bit.. :D

The. P. Murinus could've nailed 9 out of 10 times and the Human not even attempting to handle.. while the Rosea would go for 1 out of a Hundred during handling attempts.. :D

Strix

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup yup, one of the most commonly owned so the chances are high someone will get bit.

As for my rosea after I got her cage all set up I leave her alone now, every day I'll just throw in a roach or check the water, if its low fill it up with a baster then close the little hatch.

I figure it's a lot less stressful for the T if it isn't being handled and a lot less for myself as well since I don't want to risk such a beautiful creature.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have three roseas. A 4.5", a 1", and a 5/8". I don't handle any of them, for the same reason as Strix. Why stress the T??

The only of my Ts I have handled are my aureo (2"), and my larger scrofa (1.5"), and that only because they were going over the edge when the tank was open. Just long enough to get them back home. :)