I think Tarantulas can be tammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second this.

1) The segments in a tarantula's 'broken' leg do not contract - if the leg was completely removed, the sphincter contracts.

2) Tarantula blood is called haemolymph.

3) I've seen tarantulas with 'broken' legs (where haemolymph was leaking from a joint or segment) that did not remove the leg. More times than not, actually.

4) Tarantulas don't 'writhe in pain'. There is no possible way we can confirm that the tarantula is in pain. All scientific evidence thus far indicates they do not feel pain - their nervous system is simply too basic.

Please stop spewing all this nonsense, unless you have photographic or video evidence to the contrary.

Coaster - maybe you should spend a little more time in the hobby before making such outrageous claims as to what tarantulas can and can't do. It might benefit you to do some more research as well.

EDIT: I just read the latest few posts regarding aliens...:wall:

I agree with Shelley and Rosie - I'm lost.

1) You're right: The Coxa-trochanta does. I was putting it into layman's terms. (In fact, this is where the research for body armor that will Tourniquet extremities comes from)

2) Blood has many names. Again, layman's terms. Your correction cited, yet Unnecessary.

3) As have I, yet I have also seen many cast them aside. Again.. Unnecessary attempt at correction.

4) Pain is a natural response. If you didn't have a pain threshold, you wouldn't survive very long, now would you? Perhaps not as advanced as a human's.. it is there.

Before you tell me to stop spewing nonsense, you yourself needs to review your facts. I like you XhedX, but this response is not very well thought.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
All this thread is lost, hehe. But at least you have a new signature. I wonder how many phrases in this thread could be used as signatures.{D
This is one massive, alien filled, trainwreck of a thread.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I understand what he's trying to say about the "alien speech", but I'll have to agree with the majority here and look at this from a scientific standpoint. Tarantulas are just a very primitive life form. There's just so many things they can't do or experience like other life forms can.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I was young once and into exploring different concepts that are contra to the norm, he will grow outta it

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Well we cant fly without machinery either but I would be willing to bet we are smarter than birds...ever hear the expression "birdbrained"
I love tarantulas but their brain is the size of a pencil lead, you are thinking way to hard about something that just isnt
I'm saying even WITH machinery we cant replicate a machine to walk like a spider, not yet at least. All our attempts walk extremely slowly, and thats not because our computers are slow. And brain size is irrelevant, imagine an alien who lives on a planet with 500 solar masses, wouldn't it be presumptuous to think that alien is 166million times smarter than us, given that earth is 1/332,900 the mass of our sun.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1) You're right: The Coxa-trochanta does. I was putting it into layman's terms. (In fact, this is where the research for body armor that will Tourniquet extremities comes from)

2) Blood has many names. Again, layman's terms. Your correction cited, yet Unnecessary.

3) As have I, yet I have also seen many cast them aside. Again.. Unnecessary attempt at correction.

4) Pain is a natural response. If you didn't have a pain threshold, you wouldn't survive very long, now would you? Perhaps not as advanced as a human's.. it is there.

Before you tell me to stop spewing nonsense, you yourself needs to review your facts. I like you XhedX, but this response is not very well thought.
On top of not even being able to spell my username right, your arguments are weak.

Blood has many names? If you want to get really picky, tarantulas don't even have blood. It's haemolymph, and that's all there is to it.

You weren't using a layman's term. You were using an incorrect term.

And brain size is irrelevant, imagine an alien who lives on a planet with 500 solar masses, wouldn't it be presumptuous to think that alien is 166million times smarter than us, given that earth is 1/332,900 the mass of our sun.
Ok, now I'm convinced you're a troll. How does brain size relate to the relationship between the earth and the sun? Oh, right...it doesn't.

Coaster, I think I lose brain cells every time I read a post from you. Sorry.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I once tammed a single-cell organism. I told it not to have the mental capacity for me to tamm it. The experiment worked out perfectly. The final remaining question: what does "tamm" mean?

Also, I know why pink toes have pink toes. It is because if they didn't, it would be silly for them to be called pink toes, and they would be letting down their masters.
I'm sorry OP, but I couldn't resist.

--Dan

Lorum

Arachnosquire
(...) imagine an alien (...)
{D{D C'mon, leave aliens alone. We are not aliens, why even mention aliens in a thread about T's? Wait, do you know some aliens? Do you know how are they? Did they keep you (or anyone else) as a pet?

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I'm saying even WITH machinery we cant replicate a machine to walk like a spider, not yet at least. All our attempts walk extremely slowly, and thats not because our computers are slow. And brain size is irrelevant, imagine an alien who lives on a planet with 500 solar masses, wouldn't it be presumptuous to think that alien is 166million times smarter than us, given that earth is 1/332,900 the mass of our sun.
Have you never seen the RC tarantulas?

--Dan

QuantumGears

Arachnopeon
What am I reading?

Do you think that you can tie random trivia together in an attempt to sound scientific?

Tarantulas react to stimuli. As far as we know, and until someone proves otherwise, all observation shows that tarantulas show no ability to analyze a situation or reason abstractly. They sense movement, they attack. They feel frightened, they attack or run. Not as complex as you make it seem. Its like comparing a simple circuit to a super computer.

If you beg to differ conduct a reasonable experiment and prove it.:D

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think he's that young. Maybe just a very creative individual. The normal is pretty boring. Nothing wrong with having a big imagination.
Like Einstein said,
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Don't mock him. Educate him and leave him be.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Imagine a witch that was going to be drowned alive but was impregnated by a vampire who had been attacked by a werewolf and the full moon was to be in the nights sky the same evening she was to be drowned. If she left Sailum on a train going east at 123 miles an hour and the conductor died of a cerebral infarction, could she bewitch a tarantula to guide the train or would it be to distracted by the engrossing book it was reading on 15th century tapestries before.

I know old rugs excite the crap out of me. I think the witch would die in the train crash.

Here is my scientific evidence supporting my very believable claim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1hUJP-1EE

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On top of not even being able to spell my username right, your arguments are weak.

Blood has many names? If you want to get really picky, tarantulas don't even have blood. It's haemolymph, and that's all there is to it.

You weren't using a layman's term. You were using an incorrect term.
On top of not even being able to correctly spell hemolymph, I find your arguments weak as well. Since mine were indeed based upon fact. My apologies for not attempting to use scientific words to describe every element in my previous post.

Yes, I did indeed mean for it to be in layman's terms: Have you not heard of the term lifeblood? Do not presume to tell me what I did or didn't mean.

lifeblood [ˈlaɪfˌblʌd]
n
1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) the blood, considered as vital to sustain life
2. the essential or animating force

Period.

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Ok, now I'm convinced you're a troll. How does brain size relate to the relationship between the earth and the sun? Oh, right...it doesn't.

Coaster, I think I lose brain cells every time I read a post from you. Sorry.
Like I said you need to think more abstractly. An alien living on a planet with 500 solar masses will most likely have a brain near 166 million times more massive than our own. According to your brain size intelligence correlation we would conclude that an alien on a planet revolving around the sun Betelgeuse would be unfathomably more intelligent than us.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
On top of not even being able to correctly spell hemolymph, I find your arguments weak as well. Since mine were indeed based upon fact. My apologies for not attempting to use scientific words to describe every element in my previous post.

Yes, I did indeed mean for it to be in layman's terms: Have you not heard of the term lifeblood? Do not presume to tell me what I did or didn't mean.

lifeblood [ˈlaɪfˌblʌd]
n
1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) the blood, considered as vital to sustain life
2. the essential or animating force

Period.
Oh, I'm sorry.

Haemolymph is correct spelling, maybe use the dictionary for that as well as for defining 'blood', not 'lifeblood', since that's not the term you used.

Coaster - where are you getting this whole brain/sun size thing? Last I checked, we were the only known intelligent life in the universe, so it's not like we have anything to compare to...

Last edited:

QuantumGears

Arachnopeon
Like I said you need to think more abstractly. An alien living on a planet with 500 solar masses will most likely have a brain near 166 million times more massive than our own. According to your brain size intelligence correlation we would conclude that an alien on a planet revolving around the sun Betelgeuse would be unfathomably more intelligent than us.
1. Explain how this correlation is true. Proof would require some scientific literature.

2. What does this have to do with tarantulas and their thinking capacity?

3.Thinking "abstractly" doesn't always produce results. Sometimes things just happen a certain way and you just have to "crunch" the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.