I think something is very wrong with my giant desert centipede

mellow

Arachnobaron
It's still alive, I don't think it's going to be alive tomorrow morning tho. 😢

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yep. Definitely dying, and the person who suggested neurological issues might be right. This usually is caused by poisoning.

mellow

Arachnobaron
It still moves, not completely sure if it can still be considered still alive 💔, I did get another scolopendra heros arizonensis for a good deal and it has all of its legs and all of its antennae and seems a lot younger than the one in centipede death curl so that's really cool. 😃

mellow

Arachnobaron
Yeah it was definitely dead when I checked on it this morning 💔, but I will carry on and take care of the new one and the rest of the bugs that I care for, here is what it looks like before I pin it and stuff.
IMG_20200527_093926172.jpg

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A couple thoughts come to mind. Handling centipedes can stress them out, and stress kills. Keep handling to a minimum if at all. Second - If and when you do handle, the centipede could come into contact with chemicals on your hands. Hand sanitizer could be dangerous to the centipede, as could other chemicals you might have on your hands without thinking about them. Also, caging conditions have an impact. I don't know how you set up your cages, but if there's doubt, make comparisons between the way you do it and how others do it. Finally, food. Avoid wild-caught crickets, etc., because they could have been exposed to pesticides. Avoid chrysomelid bugs and hornworm caterpillars because they can sequester toxins from the plants they eat.

mellow

Arachnobaron
A couple thoughts come to mind. Handling centipedes can stress them out, and stress kills. Keep handling to a minimum if at all. Second - If and when you do handle, the centipede could come into contact with chemicals on your hands. Hand sanitizer could be dangerous to the centipede, as could other chemicals you might have on your hands without thinking about them. Also, caging conditions have an impact. I don't know how you set up your cages, but if there's doubt, make comparisons between the way you do it and how others do it. Finally, food. Avoid wild-caught crickets, etc., because they could have been exposed to pesticides. Avoid chrysomelid bugs and hornworm caterpillars because they can sequester toxins from the plants they eat.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I will be sure to be even more careful about those things than I already was, I really think it was just old age that killed it.