I think she's cold...

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
I put my first T, a juvenile GBB, in her Kritter Keeper a few days ago and I noticed she hasn't been as active or displaying as much. I figured she was probably just scared or getting used to the new environment and gave her a few days. Just before, I decided to take that mini 4 watt heating pad I purchased for my experiment on their safety (another thread) and I just kind of leaned it against the side of the enclosure. In less than 20 minutes she was out and about climbing all over that thing doing happy dances. Is she attracted to the heat? I do keep my house at 60-62 most of the time in the winter. Is she attracted to the appearance of a solid wall over there?

Attachments

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
Do they get uncomfortable and move away from heat as well? I've been monitoring with an infrared thermometer and temps are at a pretty solid 72 over there

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Usually when a low watt mat is put on the side there isnt an issue though there should be a water source in that area. 72F isnt going to kill your T. If it stays there without water over a long period of time then it probably will

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
60 is a bit on the chilly side. Not immediately deathly lethal but still a bit cooler than ideal.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Chromatopelma really enjoy having an almost cluttered enclosure with plenty of anchor points. Mine acted like yours until i added a bunch of fake plants and various different cork pieces for her to build off of. I cant really speak toawrds the cold being a factor. Its never a problem for me.

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
I keep slippers/shoes/sweatshirt on most of the time but when I feel like sitting around and having a few beers... then I'll start up the wood stove and get cozy.

I fed her a cricket and she ran down, snatched it up, and is now sitting up where the pad is sucking it down.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
62 F are 16° C (and something) if I'm not wrong. IMO too cold even for a night drop, go figure. Ok that 'GBB' are hardy T's, but :-/

Jeff23

Arachnolord
While the heat pad may temporarily solve your problem, you should think in terms that your heat pad will not live as long as your T in the most likely scenario. When the heat pad malfunctions at the end of its life, what will it do? Will it temporarily overheat and burn your T or will it just fizzle and stop putting out heat? Both scenarios are possible. I would advise that you do this no longer than you need until a better long term solution can be found.

What will be your situation in summer months? Is 60 degrees a comfort setting that you maintain year around or power bill saving in the winter months?

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
Summer conditions will be much different. Pretty much between 75-80... I just keep a window unit in the master bedroom for the really hot days and I usually leave the door open to bring the house down to a comfortable temperature and humidity. I think things will be more inline with "room temperature" most people are telling me is okay.

Came home from work in the middle of the day and indoor temp was at 63, my infrared thermometer said 66 in the cage and she's hidden away. I wonder if she'll come back out later in the day when I start a fire.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Summer conditions will be much different. Pretty much between 75-80... I just keep a window unit in the master bedroom for the really hot days and I usually leave the door open to bring the house down to a comfortable temperature and humidity. I think things will be more inline with "room temperature" most people are telling me is okay.

Came home from work in the middle of the day and indoor temp was at 63, my infrared thermometer said 66 in the cage and she's hidden away. I wonder if she'll come back out later in the day when I start a fire.
Do you have a computer or other appliance that puts out enough heat to raise the local temperature by several degrees during most hours of the day? Sometimes you can sit your T enclosure near something of this sort to have an additional heat source.

Grunyon

Arachnopeon
Do you have a computer or other appliance that puts out enough heat to raise the local temperature by several degrees during most hours of the day? Sometimes you can sit your T enclosure near something of this sort to have an additional heat source.
I've never thought about putting her above the fridge. It stays a few degrees warmer up there in general I believe

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Grunyon

My bedroom is like this. I have several appliances that keep it warmer for both them and myself.

@Grunyon in your case I would figure something out since that ambient temperature that it is currently living in is a bit on the cold side.