I think she’s a iheringi

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I will rig something to backlight them.

@AphonopelmaTX they both look pretty much the same to me. Maybe any differences will become more obvious when they get larger.

actaeon
View attachment 302688

iheringi
View attachment 302689
Agreed. These pictures show no real difference in spermatheca shape, but there is an undeniable curvature in the G. actaeon picture. I don't think it is enough to separate it from the G. iheringi though. That figures, but it is insightful to see and as you say, maybe the shape will change as they get larger. I hope there are one or more taxonomists out there working on a complete generic revision. This is a tough genus. :arghh:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Agreed. These pictures show no real difference in spermatheca shape, but there is an undeniable curvature in the G. actaeon picture. I don't think it is enough to separate it from the G. iheringi though. That figures, but it is insightful to see and as you say, maybe the shape will change as they get larger. I hope there are one or more taxonomists out there working on a complete generic revision. This is a tough genus. :arghh:
To throw another wrench, I've been translating some of the paragraphs and chart rows from the Schiapelli and Gerschman papers, and one notes "Escóp. metat. I" as being half for both G. actaeon and G. iheringi. The earlier paper uses that as a defining character, but it doesn't seem to be reliable based on more recent publications. :dead:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I’m not sure if you explained the swirl you speak of. I couldn’t visually see a diff in the pic you posted.
The abdominal setae on iheringi is longer and has a very noticeable 'wave' to it.
DSC04596-2.jpg

While the abdominal setae on actaeon is shorter and straighter and shows no 'wave'.
DSC04058-2.jpg

You can basically just wait and see - Grammostola actaeon do not retain the red abdomens as they get larger and iheringi will.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Brazilian Woolly Black is the common name for G. actaeon
That may be the common name for G. acteon, but G. iheringi is IMO much 'woollier', at least with regards to the abdomen. The setae are also more fire truck-red in G. iheringi, while juvi G. acteon are paler and more leaning towards orange.

I like the mirror patches in both species. They really shine when the light is right!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You can basically just wait and see - Grammostola actaeon do not retain the red abdomens as they get larger and iheringi will.
I think I'll just do this with mine tbh, the spermathecae of mine don't seem to match either your actaeon or iheringi (yours have an inward curl whereas Sareena's are pretty much straight) and all the other methods seem to have too much variation to give an accurate ID, she's 4.5" now and should be due a moult soon (I think actaeon start to lose the red at around 4.5" - 5" if I remember correctly) so I'll update here if I remember.

That may be the common name for G. acteon, but G. iheringi is IMO much 'woollier', at least with regards to the abdomen.
Yeah but actaeon kinda look like a slender shaggy pulchra as adults, hence the common name. I suppose we could just change iheringi's to "Entre Rios Woolly Red Rump"

Mslinger

Arachnosquire
The abdominal setae on iheringi is longer and has a very noticeable 'wave' to it.
View attachment 302769

While the abdominal setae on actaeon is shorter and straighter and shows no 'wave'.
View attachment 302771

Thanks so much for those pics, and info.

No. The species are similar in temperament and they are all individuals. All three of mine - actaeon, iheringi and grossa - have much the same temperament at this point... all are skittish and fairly fast.
Thanks! Good to know, she’s still young so we’ll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I purchased this tarantula under the name black woolly, listed scientific name was pulchra.
I don’t believe she’s a pulchra, behaviorally acts like a G iheringi.
Fun little beast, likes to come out when she thinks I’m not looking and clean out her hole (removes dead big parts) and drops them in different locations within tank. Fast/feisty/hungry
I can't say for sure what you have, in part because the pictures you have don't tell me how far along the molt is. I'd need to see a fresh molt to gauge the abdominal setae color. The actaeon, which I have, as slings and juvi, really look the same. Owners of iheringi do observe differences in shape of the abdominal setae. Personally I don't think my AFs is any less wavy than iheringi, but we are using subjective terms.

that adult Actaeon lose the read coloration
The lose it in 1 molt. One night your T is bright red, the next day it's rusty red. The rusty red will continue to lose color over the next few molts and plateau out.

What about behavior?
The same between the species. Both females get to be quite large.

Mslinger

Arachnosquire
I can't say for sure what you have, in part because the pictures you have don't tell me how far along the molt is. I'd need to see a fresh molt to gauge the abdominal setae color. The actaeon, which I have, as slings and juvi, really look the same. Owners of iheringi do observe differences in shape of the abdominal setae. Personally I don't think my AFs is any less wavy than iheringi, but we are using subjective terms.

The lose it in 1 molt. One night your T is bright red, the next day it's rusty red. The rusty red will continue to lose color over the next few molts and plateau out.

The same between the species. Both females get to be quite large.

Gorgeous

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
@VanessaS hi. :)

The input I received about G. actaeon and hobby G. iheringi is this:

In pet trade, we have two different individuals of G. actaeon (I dont know worldwide, but at least in South America they have. One looks like hobby iheringi when slings/juvenile, "black with red butt", the region these guys were found is Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil). The other individual, is black, even when slings, these guys were found in Santa Catarina (Brazil). Unfortunately, I wasnt told specifically the cities they were found in both states but I can ask around, if you want to.

The individual you have, is from Rio Grande do Sul and, as you stated, the red color will fade within time. It can turn a dark red (almost a wine coloration) but there were also individuals that became fully black as adults.

What I've learned about these guys, though, is kinda sad, lol. To differentiate juveniles hobby iheringi from juveniles actaeon, visually speaking, there arent any accurate/reliable methods. I saw you made a comment about the different setae disposition and size but turns out, even in the same species you can have these variabilities, meaning if you examined a large group of actaeon, you'll noticed these differences between the individuals. When adults, however, hobby iheringi turns out to be way bigger than actaeon, specially in the size of the legs of legs I and II. Not only that, hobby iheringi red coloration doesnt fade away within time. So adults are more likely to be differentiate from actaeon. I know these arent valid taxonomical characters (maybe the size of the legs are) but those are what we have in pet trade now.

About spermathecae, we (as hobbysts) are used to differentiate species by looking at it, and I'm not saying this is wrong, as most of you guys, I do it all the time too. But from what I was told, the use of spermathecae (isolated) to differentiate some Grammostola species is not reliable too.

Thats the input I had about hobby iheringi and actaeon.

I saw you talked a lil bit about the "real ihering" and G. grossa. I'll make a comment about these later. And yes, as everything else in Grammostola genus, it is also a mess. Lol.

Mslinger

Arachnosquire
@VanessaS hi. :)

The input I received about G. actaeon and hobby G. iheringi is this:

In pet trade, we have two different individuals of G. actaeon (I dont know worldwide, but at least in South America they have. One looks like hobby iheringi when slings/juvenile, "black with red butt", the region these guys were found is Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil). The other individual, is black, even when slings, these guys were found in Santa Catarina (Brazil). Unfortunately, I wasnt told specifically the cities they were found in both states but I can ask around, if you want to.

The individual you have, is from Rio Grande do Sul and, as you stated, the red color will fade within time. It can turn a dark red (almost a wine coloration) but there were also individuals that became fully black as adults.

What I've learned about these guys, though, is kinda sad, lol. To differentiate juveniles hobby iheringi from juveniles actaeon, visually speaking, there arent any accurate/reliable methods. I saw you made a comment about the different setae disposition and size but turns out, even in the same species you can have these variabilities, meaning if you examined a large group of actaeon, you'll noticed these differences between the individuals. When adults, however, hobby iheringi turns out to be way bigger than actaeon, specially in the size of the legs of legs I and II. Not only that, hobby iheringi red coloration doesnt fade away within time. So adults are more likely to be differentiate from actaeon. I know these arent valid taxonomical characters (maybe the size of the legs are) but those are what we have in pet trade now.

About spermathecae, we (as hobbysts) are used to differentiate species by looking at it, and I'm not saying this is wrong, as most of you guys, I do it all the time too. But from what I was told, the use of spermathecae (isolated) to differentiate some Grammostola species is not reliable too.

Thats the input I had about hobby iheringi and actaeon.

I saw you talked a lil bit about the "real ihering" and G. grossa. I'll make a comment about these later. And yes, as everything else in Grammostola genus, it is also a mess. Lol.
That’s funny how some Actaeon will turn black like G. Pulchra
I have since purchased 3 G. Iheringi’s from F/N
They are fast growers.
My Actaeon still retains a nice red to her abdomen. She’s about 5/6” I would guess.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
@Arachnid Addicted I'm only interested in differentiating what is being sold in the hobby. My only concern is not mixing up what is being sold as actaeon with what is being sold as iheringi. Whether those two species end up being the same species, but different locales, versus being different species is not my main concern right this second. My only concern is that people NOT breed two different animals together - whether that is actaeon and iheringi, or actaeon from different locales, or iheringi from two different locales.
While I care what species is what very, very, much - most people don't. They don't care at all. All they care about is breeding. This person has a mature male and all I care about is her not breeding that mature male to a different species or locale. That is my only priority right now.
As far as my girls go - my actaeon without the swirl on the abdomen is losing the red colour and is much stockier in the front end. While my iheringi girl with the swirl is retaining the red and looks much leggier overall. They are just about the same size at this point, with the iheringi being slightly smaller, but with the same leg span.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
@VanessaS I can relate to your concern, irresponsible breeding will always be a big problem, imo.

My advice to the OP since s/he doesnt know what s/he has is DONT BREED IT, at all. That is because all the points I stated on my previous comment.

About YOURS specimens, you have all of them properly labeled, I'm sure about it. I just made the comment and tagged you because I noticed that at some point of this thread the discussion "hobby iheringi x actaeon" started so, just want to clear things up about these two species and the specimens both of them have.

Thats all.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
she's 4.5" now and should be due a moult soon (I think actaeon start to lose the red at around 4.5" - 5" if I remember correctly) so I'll update here if I remember.
Seeing as this has been necro'd and I forgot to update, last moult measured 5", still has the red, got a much better spermathecae pic.

View media item 62452

Mslinger

Arachnosquire
I’m not sure if the “OP” is a reference to me, as I did start this thread. However I am certain since then my G. Actaeon is a G. Actaeon from given information sourced through The abundance of info mostly non scientific. Still it leaves a hole, however small as it’s real Identity. I don’t plan on breeding her, that is a task better suited for someone with more time than I have. As hobbyists in this pet trade we have to have a understanding of what we’re dealing with. What is a “species” in the pet trade and what it is scientifically. The acceptance has to come there, knowing the difference. Because they are imported, lack of communication through language barriers, education etc, the whole variance of species out there, the lack of dedicated scientific authority, we keepers have to resort to guiding/managing ourselves. Issues in this trade are availability, source* and simply ease of legitimate detailed information. Because of availability people will want to breed what they have.
We aren’t going to be able to change things with other countries, or with people who don’t care$$, only to our acceptance of things under our control.