I think petco gave me a pregnant Emp

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so anyway I was looking at the 2nd emp I got at petco... and its really really fat, but i am starting to think its pregnant. does anyone have pics of how the ladies look prego?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Look like one in need of a molt. Unless you saw it mate there is really not much way of knowing. In saying that many WC animals are gravid. Keep the temps at 80F or more and make sure the substrate stays moist. Time will tell

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How big is it? It may just be the photo but it almost appears too small to be an adult

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its pretty big, not really sure how big it is. I thinks its somewhere in 4-5" I hope its not going to have babies yet.. haha my other emp loves her(if it is a her), I think i have a boy and girl. I am moving the boy out today.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks too small to me as well. The telson seems to be white, and not red as adult's are.

Mike

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok thats good then, I will get the in later today. thanks for your help. is she just a fatty? and going to molt.

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok thats good then, I will get the in later today. thanks for your help. is she just a fatty? and going to molt.
she could be getting ready for a molt, ours seem to fatten up a lot just before one happens.
also depending on the pet stores supplier you can get gravid emps, the supplier for my work keeps them all in a giant tank so I've ended up bringing 3 or 4 gravid ones home for Bay lol.
good luck with the emp though hope it has a long and happy life{D

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The metasoma seems a tad thin to be an adult... for big scorpions like emperors, being gravid just makes it look like "one big scorpion" as opposed to a molt which makes it look like a bloated black berry. Many people end up with gravid store bought scorpions because they pick the biggest, meanest looking one they can find, big and mean usually means pregnant and grouchy, but if you push any scorpion they're going to most likely push back....

Just wait and see, even some the people who have a bunch of species and regularly control mating don't try to pinpoint whats goin on, you know what should be going on, but you wait and see.