I think my Rose Hair is fixing to molt...

HannibalCmp

Arachnopeon
It might be that it is getting adjusted to its new surroundings or something but it hasn't eaten and It hasnt changed position for atleast 45 minutes. BTW I just got it today. If it is molting what should I do? I do not have a clean mister/sprayer right now. Do you think it will wait till tomorrow to molt? Should I sprinkle water on it to keep it moist because I read somewhere that Tarantulas can die during amolt if their cage is not kept moist.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd give it a few days to adjust....don't worry about the eating part, a lot of rosies decide not to eat for long periods. Also, mine doesn't change position much either, especially while I'm watching.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by HannibalCmp
It might be that it is getting adjusted to its new surroundings or something but it hasn't eaten and It hasnt changed position for atleast 45 minutes. BTW I just got it today. If it is molting what should I do? I do not have a clean mister/sprayer right now. Do you think it will wait till tomorrow to molt? Should I sprinkle water on it to keep it moist because I read somewhere that Tarantulas can die during amolt if their cage is not kept moist.
Please hold on the sprinkling! Unless your spider is actually lying on its back right now, there's no reason to assume it is about to molt, based on the behavior you describe. If you are not already aware of it, it is my duty to inform you that:

1) tarantulas are sedentary creatures. It's natural for them to go hours without moving, and I have specimens that hold the same position for DAYS.

2) If you have just got your spider today, it will likely take at least a few days to settle in before it feels like eating. This isn't always the case, mind you, but it's way too early to be worrying because it isn't eating. Rosehairs are in any case infamous for fasting. Mine have gone as long as 6 months without eating, and this is by no means the record.

As I say, there is no reason to suspect a molt is imminent unless it is lying on its back. Make sure the tarantula has a shallow dish of clean water (no sponge, no cotton ball), and just let it settle in. I'd suggest in the meantime you equip yourself with one of the good tarantula books on the market. The tarantula Keeper's Guide by Schultz and Schultz and Tarantulas and Other Arachnids by Marshall are the two best IMO. This will help you get a better feel for what is, and is not, normal behavior.

Good luck to you and your new pet :)

Joy