I think my P.cavimanus may be in pre-molt.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been using the search feature, and I can't seem to get the info I want.
I have a P.cavimanus, sold at an LPS as "Red Claw" scorpion. They also have "Africian Emperor Scorpion," P.imperator, but I decided to get the cavimanus because I understand cavis are often sold as imps, and the cavi was cheaper.

Anyway, I keep it in the dark, in my closet, on top of my roach tank. The roach tank has a thermostat to keep it at 90 F constantly. I'm sure the scorpion is mid-eighties, since the heat rope is on the bottom of the roach tank. For humidity, I don't have a good sized water dish, so I just periodically soak the substrate, and mist the moss I have in there. Currently I have it in a medium sized KK. Substrate is coconut coir, and I have the KK filled up almost to the top so my scorpion has lots of burrowing room. I don't have any hides, because it burrows.

Anyway, it doesn't eat! It looks fat, stuffed to the gills really. I think it might be pre-molt.

I can post setup pics later if needed.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey you didn't ask a question! :D

I'm assuming though, that you want to know if it's in pre-molt because it's not eating.

Well, that's hard to say. Could just be full and not hungry. They can go a long while without eating, even if they aren't preparing to molt.

So I think the answer is maybe. :)

If it's stuffed to the gills and is a bit sluggish, or hiding a lot, just leave it alone and don't feed it. It will either molt or thin out and start coming out more at night to look for food. ;)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, I wanted to know if my scorpion is in pre-molt. Sounds like it might be, I'll post pics if I remember, and if he/she cooperates...:D

For now, I'll assume it is pre-molt until it thins out a bit.

EDIT: Also, I'm a little concerned his telson is too small proportional to his/her body size.

2nd EDIT: Is my setup OK?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, you can't do anything about the proportionality of the telson. :p

Your set up sounds great. However, considering the constant temps without seasonal temp and humidity variation, there are no clues as to the season or time of day.

I would consider putting in a very small light, even just a one watt led , on a timer (or you turn on and off). This way it has some clue as to day/night, and even season. For seasonal clues, you can adjust the length of the day/night schedule. 18on/6off in summer, 12/12 in winter should work fine. You could of course have a 14/10 in spring and fall, but it is probably not needed.

Otherwise, it sounds great! :)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, you can't do anything about the proportionality of the telson. :p

Your set up sounds great. However, considering the constant temps without seasonal temp and humidity variation, there are no clues as to the season or time of day.

I would consider putting in a very small light, even just a one watt led , on a timer (or you turn on and off). This way it has some clue as to day/night, and even season. For seasonal clues, you can adjust the length of the day/night schedule. 18on/6off in summer, 12/12 in winter should work fine. You could of course have a 14/10 in spring and fall, but it is probably not needed.

Otherwise, it sounds great! :)

Well, I'm just worried with a small telson that that might indicate poor health. I got this at a local LPS, which is usually really good so I'm not *too* worried about that.

I'll consider the lighting idea.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It WAS pre-molt. Saw him wrestling his way out of his old self while I was doing my bug check this morning.