I think my mexican red knee is dying

G Buck

Arachnopeon
Help:

I accidentally dropped her after she made a sudden move while i was taking her out of the cage. We have had her for about 5 years.

She dropped about 2.5m high. She dropped onto her abdomen and there was an injury. She was 'bleeding' clear liquid - I repaired this. She is now not moving and just sits on her wood. I can't tell if she is alive but I don't want her to be suffering either. She was due a molt and therefore her abdomen was really fat

I hope I haven't killed her.

any ideas?????

cheers

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Help:

I accidentally dropped her after she made a sudden move while i was taking her out of the cage. We have had her for about 5 years.

She dropped about 2.5m high. She dropped onto her abdomen and there was an injury. She was 'bleeding' clear liquid - I repaired this. She is now not moving and just sits on her wood. I can't tell if she is alive but I don't want her to be suffering either. She was due a molt and therefore her abdomen was really fat

I hope I haven't killed her.

any ideas?????

cheers
OK! First, why were you holding her as high as the roof? 2.5m is roof hight! (you must have made a mistake on mesurment)
you shouldnt handle a tarantula close to a molt!
you should handle tarantulas as close to the floor as pos.
Where was she 'bleeding' from and how did you repare it?
if you touch her slightly, does she move?
Can you put a pic up? hopefully we can be more helpfull with a pic
and some of my qs answered

Last edited:

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Hey bud

i don't want to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately after a fall like that , and the abdomen getting hurt like that, it is most likely that she wont make it.

I truly hope that its not as bad as you said but i would prepare for the worst, i'm sorry bud :(

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
:?

How'd you get your t as high as that? I hope your t survives, but it doesn't sound good.:(

Hanes

Arachnosquire
that's like me falling out a 5 storey window, she may make it until it's time to molt but if she makes it through that I would be very surprised.

These things happen though and you can only hope to learn from your mistake

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
I am guessing you got your measurements wrong since you said you were taking it out of its tank when it fell. I am assuming that the tank is not as high as the roof. If you did fix it (how?) I am guessing it isnt bleeding anymore? If that is the case I would suggest an ICU. Put her in a container with a bunch of moist papertowels and leave her alone for a while. this will give her a place to calm down and heal but dont bother her or she will become stressed and it wont make things any better. good luck

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
2.5 meters is like 7.5 feet... that would be the top level of my shelf....
not the ceiling, more like 10-12ft, so 3.3-4m

G Buck

Arachnopeon
Ok - thanks to all the replies...!

first, I know how to handle a T, she isn't the first I've had - I know they shouldn't be handled close to a molt and yes I consider myself thoroughly ashamed.

It may not have been as much as 2.5M (that would be quite a low ceiling!!) - maybe 1.5 - she is in a tank on the shelf and I had already got her out, was about to sit down with her and she flipped - she has never made any sudden moves like that before.

I will try the ITU suggestion - thanks -

I have a horrible feeling that it isn't going to be good...... she was so pretty too... she doesn't move at all - I haven't poked or prodded her too much as I didn't want to stress her out - it happened on Friday night...... nearly a week ago...

She was 'bleeding' from her abdomen - it has stopped now - a dab of glue helped.......

thanks to all of you anyhow -

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
any other suggestions, keep them coming - thank you
Dont go icu root! that is strictly for dehydrated T's!!!!!!

Just leave her be! and hope for the best! if she molts but the molt gets stuck where the rupture was, just try really carefully to cut the shed off around the area!

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Dont go icu root! that is strictly for dehydrated T's!!!!!!

Just leave her be! and hope for the best! if she molts but the molt gets stuck where the rupture was, just try really carefully to cut the shed off around the area!
Thanks spiderworld for correcting me. I thought the ICU was for any Dehydrated or injured T's. I Just Figured it couldnt hurt to try. :)

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
No it's not. ICU is also used for injured Ts.
I disagree! icu conditions may help the t!(although i doubt how much for injury)
I say the t has been through enough!
if your arguement is icu does help, then just add some water to
the tarerium and a touch of heat! instead of putting it
in a container of damp towels. out of its comfy home

Last edited:

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Thanks spiderworld for correcting me. I thought the ICU was for any Dehydrated or injured T's. I Just Figured it couldnt hurt to try. :)
No prob! the thing is it could hurt to try! tarantulas sometimes even die
when you rehouse them at a spacific time. they really dont like to be thrown
into a brand new place they dont know!
If i have a prob with a T that isnt a hydration isue, the first thing i do
is add some water to the tarerium and a touch more heat!
im not saying that icu conditions deff wont help, but try create them in their own home!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer

G Buck

Arachnopeon
thanks for that - I have been warming up the tank and spraying to make it a bit more damp than usual - I will just leave her like that for a while -

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
No prob! the thing is it could hurt to try! tarantulas sometimes even die
when you rehouse them at a spacific time. they really dont like to be thrown
into a brand new place they dont know!
If i have a prob with a T that isnt a hydration isue, the first thing i do
is add some water to the tarerium and a touch more heat!
im not saying that icu conditions deff wont help, but try create them in their own home!
Im sticking to that!