I think I might have Heterophrynus

NotreallyJeff

Arachnopeon
Alrighty fellas

I recently posted a thread about "Stygophrynus" which lead me to believe that I, in fact, had a couple of Catageus, but after a close look, I think they might actually be something like H. alces. I'll post pictures so you all can have a look to see if my claim is accurate or not. I've never seen a picture of any Catageus so I no reference to how they look. These pictures show two different Amblypigids however, the top one of the largest, bottom one is of the smallest specimens I have in my care.

Thanks for reading,

Jeff 20201004_205236.jpg DSC06186.jpeg

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
No. This is a Catageus, not a Heterophyrnus. And for sure not H. alces.
Also only Charinidae and Charontidae can climb smooth surfaces, so if yours climbs it is not a Heterophrynus.

NotreallyJeff

Arachnopeon
No. This is a Catageus, not a Heterophyrnus. And for sure not H. alces.
Also only Charinidae and Charontidae can climb smooth surfaces, so if yours climbs it is not a Heterophrynus.
Intetesting.

I have an image from: Breeding The World's Largest Living Arachnid that was classified as H. alces that looks identical to my picture of the Catageus's shown above.

This isn't the first time this book has been wrong, sutch as calling P. carolynae as it's former name P. mexicanus

Thank you very much for clarifying.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
The book is correct, it shows a Heterophrynus alces.
But yours is not a Heterophrynus (that's great, because H. alces is very tricky to keep).
And note what I said about climbing on glass, this is a very important character for the amblypygid family that Catageus belongs to.

NotreallyJeff

Arachnopeon
The book is correct, it shows a Heterophrynus alces.
But yours is not a Heterophrynus (that's great, because H. alces is very tricky to keep).
And note what I said about climbing on glass, this is a very important character for the amblypygid family that Catageus belongs to.
Alright, thanks for putting up with my ignorance. I want to learn all I can about Whipspiders, so thanks for informing me.

Jeff