1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

I think i made a rookie mistake

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ChromatoFuse, Jan 15, 2020.

1. ChromatoFuse

ChromatoFuse Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    I think my substrate is too wet for my tarantulas, well atleast for my chromatopelma C. I made coco fiber & let it dry out for a day and night in a well ventilated space, ive put it in the enclosures & housed my T's but the glass is all condensed, while i have alot of ventilation holes... maybe too fast? What should i do? My chromatopelma is 50% of the time on the side glass, also isnt eating but i think she molted in her previous container altho she doesnt look fresh. My other T, geniculata is in her burrow molting probably, she was in premolt.
    Any tips on the too wet substrate? Just wait it out to dry out or?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord

Best thing you can do is let it dry out, if some mold develops, simply scoop it out

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. jrh3

jrh3 ArachnoTitan Arachnosupporter

You can take the substrate and dry it out in the oven at low temp. Leave the door to the oven cracked and set temp at 200F, kinda like drying out jerky. Shouldn’t take but a few hours. GBB do best with dry sub.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ChromatoFuse

Its been in there pretty long now & it feels like its starting to dry, maybe this is too extreme? Drying out wont be enough? Idk howlong it will take & if this will harm the T

Allrighty, i'm always on the watch for mold

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2020
  5. jrh3

you should be fine to just let it dry out on its own. But if it is irritating your Tarantula, I would fix it because it would only take a few hours.

6. Pyroxian

Pyroxian Arachnophobophiliac Arachnosupporter

You could scoop some of the sub out, oven dry it, and return it to the enclosure, or if there's room, just add dry to the top of the wet sub. The drier stuff on top will cut humidity rapidly and also slowly wick the moisture out of the lower wetter layer.
    Pictures of the entire enclosure would help a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnobaron Active Member

Are you sure the sub is way too wet? Usually if you push on the sub and water comes out then it's too moist.

Everytime I do a rehouse I see these behaviors. Some Ts will burrow while others stay on the walls.

If there is no water coming out then I would say stay the course. When I rehoused my pulchra the t stayed on the wall for 2 weeks and now stays on the ground 90% of the time. That was with drier substrate.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  8. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoking Old Timer

Those bricks is only for moist living speicies. It takes ages to dry them out i assume. Buy a bag of dry soil next time you gonna use it gor dry living speicies

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Colorado Ts

Colorado Ts Arachnoknight Active Member

My Two Cents.

I did this with my group of 5 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings, when I first got them.

What I was seeing:
    The Slings tended to stay off the substrate and hung out on the sides of the enclosure, usually right next to the vent holes.
    The slings did not web at all.
    The slings refused food
    The slings seemed to be acting lethargic

I called a couple of people, described what I was seeing and was told check the substrate. Substrate for this species needs to be BONE DRY, and my substrate was moist with areas that were wet.

I put the 1st spider into a brand new enclosure, then took its old enclosure and dried the substrate in a food dehydrator until it was BONE DRY. Then I took the next sling and put it into the newly dried enclosure and then dried its old enclosure until it was BONE DRY. So on and so forth until all the enclosures were BONE DRY.

I've seen a lot of people, on other threads, just say let it dry on its own. Maybe with other species, but definitely not with the GBB slings. if its too wet they will be stressed and they will not be happy until it is bone dry. I take care of my animals, I'm not going to wait, I'll fix it.

I would advise you to fix the problem and end the misery of your slings.; cup the spider, dump the substrate and set up the enclosure again with BONE DRY substrate.

Then mix the dumped substrate with your bulk substrate if you have that..and dry the bulk substrate. All my bulk storage substrate is dried, I can always add water as needed, drying wet substrate is a pain.

Again, My Two Cents

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Brachyfan

I apologize for my advice in this instance. Was not aware that gbb need bone dry substrate. Discount what I said when dealing with this species.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Colorado Ts

Colorado Ts Arachnoknight Active Member

Dude...No reason to apologize, you're a great resource. :snaphappy:

12. Brachyfan

While applicable to most NW terrestrials the info I gave was incorrect for that species so I felt the need to adress it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. ChromatoFuse

I made a new layer of substrate & made it bone dry, ive put it on top of the other substrate & he seems all fine now, when i checked on him his now on the ground chilling in a little cave

• Like Like x 1
  14. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

I just want to put this here again and emphasize it, so other people who will read this thread will not miss it, because this is the most important part here.

GBBs will die extremely quickly on moist substrate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. boina

I'm not sure that's even enough. It's not about the spider being comfortable - the moisture coming up from below can still kill it. If it's older than a sling get the substrate dry - as in all over dry.

16. ChromatoFuse

By now, i have scourged the internet looking for similar situations & solutions of people and there are 101 of them, all different... tbh i don't even know by now wich too believe & wich not to.. the substrate on the top feels very dry & she seems happy with it now, she was on the substrate chillin, don't worry… i check my tarantulas every day & i'm VERY WORRIED about them, if i see that there's something happening that shouldn't be happening or that she looks very uncomfortable, i will take action, but atm it seems fine? i think all the moisture of my enclosure is 80% gone by now….

17. boina

Here's my theory about spiders dying in moist conditions. I use the word theory in the scientific sense, meaning it is supported by facts and fits the available data but in the end I cannot prove it:

These moisture sensitive tarantulas (GBB, Avics, etc.) come from areas where they never (or nearly never) come in contact with moist soil. They therefore have no defence against soil bacteria. These immunological defence mechanism have been researched in other, soil dwelling spiders (Acanthoscurria, iirc) and definitely exist. Dry soil does not support many bacteria, but wet soil does (basic microbiology). If you now keep the substrate moist bacteria may or may not fall in from the air and multiply. If these are the wrong kind of bacteria your spider will get an infection (yes, spiders get bacterial infections, that much has been proved) and die. When you see the first signs of it it's usually too late, since these species just seem to die "out of nowhere" - that has been described often. Or it may be too weakened to survive a molt. That's why I avoid moist soil in all forms for sensitive species.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Award Award x 1
  18. ChromatoFuse

Guess i will cup the spider tonight & take out all the substrate to dry... i'm not sure how i'm gonna dry it rapidly, since i don't have any spare substrate atm...

19. jrh3

You can do it the way I stated in the beginning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. ChromatoFuse

i did this with the top layer, majority of it is now dry, so she will be fine. i just found out that my waterdish is causing alot of condensation, so i'm gonna fix that too. i'm also in direct contact with my breeder where i got my T's from, he's helping me out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.