I think I got it.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I figured it out. I was trying to find some active tarantulas that wont be dull and boring to watch.

So I thought trying to look species for activity was the case. As this is the case with the other pets I have turtles/fish/amphibians.
But tarantulas are extremely different and are extremely similar to humans in personality.
Like say one costa rican tarantula can be constantly active(just a thought) while another tarantula of the same kind and gender and age may just be relaxed and calmed down.

SO I think what I have to look for when starting out with tarantulas are:
-Ease of care(adaptability)
-Durability(how resistant to disease and illness it is)
-Color/pattern(Since all tarantulas have the potential to just sit there and do nothing the best I can do is pick a color and style. I think)
-Venom(has to be something that the venom cant pose much harm to me)
-Natural disposition(all tarantulas are wild and have the potential to strike for no reason. But a generally "tame" tarantula is the best to own because since Iam a begginer Iam prone to make mistakes when trying to get it out for tank cleaning)
-Expense(is the animal going to run above 100s of bucks. You dont want to spend more tthan 50bucks when you start a hobby and then have the animal die on you because you bought it from a wrong dealer or it was just some random thing that it died while getting shipped here)

I think I like the
Pulchras
A. Versicolor
Suntigers(forgot their scientific name)
Costa Rican Zebra
Mexican red knee(mainly because of color/pattern)

There was this guy one of you guys mentioned about that is on youtube. That he made this fantastic and really time consuming terrariums. I actually liked them. I especially liked this one he made out of mold or something and made it into a ball with a hole(Iam a poor describer). Personally I dont think I will go for a larger terrarium that I already own. I think Ill replace the lid and background.
Id like to use fake moss, plants, grasses, etc. On the terrarium. Is that possible?

Like you guys said earlier tarantulas are classified mainly by temps, humidity, arboreal, terrestrial and burrower.
Personally Id rather go for a terrestrial or an arboreal.

A while ago(couple of hours ago) I was confused on what I should do with this spare terrarium. I now see I should stick with tarantulas because I just like them overall.
Yes yes Iam giving a mushy speech about tarantulas. Sue me :p.
Anywho I would also like any tarantula from puerto rico. Since I was born there I tend to appreciate the fauna from there. I am weird like that. I know.
I like the pulchra because of its uniform jet black coloration and its sleek hair(doesnt look like lint. xD)

I still like the blue bottle green tarantula. But I dont know much about them.

Iam still open for suggestions, but as well Id like to be linked some caresheets for the species I asked.

Also, since every tarantula is different. This will sound stupid... but is it possible to call the breeders and ask for their most active tarantula and interesting out of their batch?

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have several Grammostola pulchra, wonderful species. Check out my blog for more info on them.
Many of the breeders will be willing to work with you.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus irminia (Suntiger) is too fast and bitey for you. You're not ready for that one.

Last edited:

mma316

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus irminia (Suntiger) is too fast and bitey for you. You're not ready for that one.
That's definitely an intermediate species! I'd say Avics before Psamos, when it comes to being a beginner.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heres a thread on Puerto Rican tarantulas. I'm Puerto Rican as well so I took interest in this thread a while back. Hopefully this will help you.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=166931

And as for the person on youtube that make enclosures... I have enclosures which I call the Enclosure Creations Series that I post on Youtube. They are time consuming and for the most part its all artificial. I have a link to my Youtube channel in my signature below. I also have them all over the forum. currently have 15 Creations posted.

I generally collect tarantulas that stay out in the open but they are mostly terrestrials. G. pulchra and Green Bottle Blue are good choices. Almost any Brachypelma species will be nice. You could go into the gallery found here ( http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/browseimages.php?c=12&userid= ) to look at many differnet types. That may help you decide on coloration than you can search on them specifically by Genus and Species name. Than you could check out their prices from the online sellers.
You could also check out my pic thread (link in my sig) and many others to see their specimens.

Overall you are the only one that will decide on the specimen that you will like as everyone will have their opinions. As with most people in this hobby, you may end up collecting more than one or two specimens. And maybe even eventually spending more than 50 dollars on a single specimen. Good luck.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heres a thread on Puerto Rican tarantulas. I'm Puerto Rican as well so I took interest in this thread a while back. Hopefully this will help you.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=166931

And as for the person on youtube that make enclosures... I have enclosures which I call the Enclosure Creations Series that I post on Youtube. They are time consuming and for the most part its all artificial. I have a link to my Youtube channel in my signature below. I also have them all over the forum. currently have 15 Creations posted.

I generally collect tarantulas that stay out in the open but they are mostly terrestrials. G. pulchra and Green Bottle Blue are good choices. Almost any Brachypelma species will be nice. You could go into the gallery found here ( http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/browseimages.php?c=12&userid= ) to look at many differnet types. That may help you decide on coloration than you can search on them specifically by Genus and Species name. Than you could check out their prices from the online sellers.
You could also check out my pic thread (link in my sig) and many others to see their specimens.

Overall you are the only one that will decide on the specimen that you will like as everyone will have their opinions. As with most people in this hobby, you may end up collecting more than one or two specimens. And maybe even eventually spending more than 50 dollars on a single specimen. Good luck.
There was this tarantula I saw in puertorico. It was when I was 5 years old. In a class room. It was medium size if I remember(size of baseball). It was wandering around the classroom. It had sleek hair, and it was dark brown colored. So now that I recall that. What was that species? It wasnt an escapee because everyone-including teachers were freaking out. One of them even tried to swat it. Until the janitor came whom he had cupped it. Tarantula had medium speed. Didnt seem interested in striking though nor flicking hairs. It just ran. This was a public place by the way. Nothing near rural areas. Though it was christian school whom had this inner/outsidething that had alot of plants. So maybe thats were it came from?
Thanks for the link. Ima go check it now.I like the first three. there was this one after that. I dk if thats the one Iam thinking of. But anyways it had some red/pink on it. I didnt like its pattern. but then after that I think is the costa rican zegbra? I like that one.
Personally here are my favorite color patterns(I think if I try to find them by names my mind will explode):
-The solid black one(pulchra)
-The one with orange butt, blue legs, and green body.
-The one that was black but had these white stripes on the legs(reminded me of a skeleton)
-I liked the red and black one(Obviously jet black with bright red is one of the best patterns on an animal imo)
-Id like to see a tarantula that has a bumblebee pattern(I like bees), you know black and yellow.

That baboon spider(the sandy looking one) I was advised as a begginer but I defenitely know they are aggressive.

Also about making set ups.
I know this will sound stupid but I can make my set up look like anything I want? Even if the tarantula comes from a different region? As long as i keep the temps and humidity right? Like say I wanna make the whole tank "green" like fake plants everywhere. Of course Id put some drift wood in there to offset all that green. But would this be a bad thing? I also have this water dish I used for my box turtle. Can I use it for the tarantula? Its a shallow dish. Its 2-3inches deep at most. Its very nice looking too.
also about lighting. Can I have flourescent lighting on top of the terrarium?

Last edited:

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get a P Regalis. Fast, and with potent venom along with great looks. However, the potency will "force" you into taking an overly cautious demeanor in caring for the animal. Just a thought. Or go with a GBB. You really can't go wrong with those. They are awesome. Great eaters too.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get a P Regalis. Fast, and with potent venom along with great looks. However, the potency will "force" you into taking an overly cautious demeanor in caring for the animal. Just a thought. Or go with a GBB. You really can't go wrong with those. They are awesome. Great eaters too.
I wouldnt go for the regalis--venemous. But I love its colors though! xD Id love to see one upclose(through glass of course). I may go for a gbb. But Iam still thinking this over. For now itll be my first tarantula its why Iam taking a long time to decide. So I dont go making a buyers mistake.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have several Grammostola pulchra, wonderful species. Check out my blog for more info on them.
Many of the breeders will be willing to work with you.
Nice I saw your blog. Well done I say.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There was this tarantula I saw in puertorico. It was when I was 5 years old. In a class room. It was medium size if I remember(size of baseball). It was wandering around the classroom. It had sleek hair, and it was dark brown colored. So now that I recall that. What was that species? It wasnt an escapee because everyone-including teachers were freaking out. One of them even tried to swat it. Until the janitor came whom he had cupped it. Tarantula had medium speed. Didnt seem interested in striking though nor flicking hairs. It just ran. This was a public place by the way. Nothing near rural areas. Though it was christian school whom had this inner/outsidething that had alot of plants. So maybe thats were it came from?
Check this link out. It has to be one of these. Scroll down towards the middle of the page.
http://luisonieves.blogspot.com/

Also about making set ups.
I know this will sound stupid but I can make my set up look like anything I want? Even if the tarantula comes from a different region? As long as i keep the temps and humidity right? Like say I wanna make the whole tank "green" like fake plants everywhere. Of course Id put some drift wood in there to offset all that green. But would this be a bad thing? I also have this water dish I used for my box turtle. Can I use it for the tarantula? Its a shallow dish. Its 2-3inches deep at most. Its very nice looking too.
also about lighting. Can I have flourescent lighting on top of the terrarium?
When making the enclosure, you just have to take into consideration of its basic needs. So for example, if it has tendacies to burrow and hide alot, than it will need this. When I make my enclosures I basically make it how i wish but making sure it has its needs. So yes you can do it however you want. The T will not care about the decorations in the tank. In some cases it will just redecorate to its liking. With flourescent lighting, Yes. You can have that. I have lighting on all my specimens. I feel it does them good. But its on a timer to simulate daytime/night time. Always fixed to turn on and off at the same times each day everyday.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check this link out. It has to be one of these. Scroll down towards the middle of the page.
http://luisonieves.blogspot.com/

When making the enclosure, you just have to take into consideration of its basic needs. So for example, if it has tendacies to burrow and hide alot, than it will need this. When I make my enclosures I basically make it how i wish but making sure it has its needs. So yes you can do it however you want. The T will not care about the decorations in the tank. In some cases it will just redecorate to its liking. With flourescent lighting, Yes. You can have that. I have lighting on all my specimens. I feel it does them good. But its on a timer to simulate daytime/night time. Always fixed to turn on and off at the same times each day everyday.
Yes I have seen those tarantulas.

Hmm so I think Ima make a terrarium the way I wish then. The few tarantulas I mention GBB, Brazilian Black, Avic. Tricolor, puertorican tarantulas.

What would they be considered? Arboreal? Terrestrial? Burrower?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes I have seen those tarantulas.

Hmm so I think Ima make a terrarium the way I wish then. The few tarantulas I mention GBB, Brazilian Black, Avic. Tricolor, puertorican tarantulas.

What would they be considered? Arboreal? Terrestrial? Burrower?
G. pulchra Terrestrial
GBB Both terrestrial and arboreal IMO
All Avics are arboreal.

Example of my G pulchra enclosure creation. EC#9

GBB enclosure EC #'s 1-8
Hopefully that will help you on ideas.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you could do more with an aboreal setup since they don't require as much substrate and they like tall plants/bark to climb. I think that would be the prettiest and coolest for you to set up. You should just get an Avic.
Here's a link to the Avicularia Gallery.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/browseimages.php?c=15&userid=
They're most sensitive as slings so you should probably get a juvie or sub adult. They need misting often, but don't flood the substrate.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. pulchra Terrestrial
GBB Both terrestrial and arboreal IMO
All Avics are arboreal.

Example of my G pulchra enclosure creation. EC#9

GBB enclosure EC #'s 1-8
Hopefully that will help you on ideas.
I like the second one best. But chances are Id try to make my own kind of thing. I would use a second floor thing. so foam is good for use? Jesus. Iam now more into tarantulas than ever. Not only would I get a pet. But I get to do what I like best:
-Using my imagination
-constructing

someone told me not to add a waterfall feature so I wont. Though Id like to. Like you know how there are some waterfountains where the water drips down slowly and gently? It doesnt come crashing down. I wanted to do something like that. Thatd be wicked.

So seeing this. I think Id make mine look alittle bit more of realistic fused with some imagination. Though I will say this right off the bat; if I did what you did. Chances are Id make it greener.

Also I like the idea of a bark background. I have TONS of aquarium gravel in my basement.... Could I use that?
I think based on what you showed me I think I would mostlikely go for GBB just becuase itd use all the space I give it. I love that dish you used. I may have to just find a smaller dish. Like I like mine. But its a tad too big and heavy. So Ima go with something smaller. Maybe Ill make my own home made dish? Id use gravel too. Lol. Sorry I really like gravel, moss, dirt, wood. Speaking of dirt. What substrate is the plain out best?
-No mold, no springtails, no friggin maggots or anything
-Looks nice and feels nice
-No sticking to your hands(coco fiber)
-Clean, and not stinky.

How often should I clean out the tank?

I think Id make my tank partially look like this scene on zelda(zelda fan sorry...) where its the woods and theres a tree with a knot hole. Id make a knot hole tree.

OH and I have some real live moss I got from the woods a long time ago. Its still kicking. Is it possible to use it? I used it for my box turtles enclosure(he got out D:). So would it be possible and good?

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you could do more with an aboreal setup since they don't require as much substrate and they like tall plants/bark to climb. I think that would be the prettiest and coolest for you to set up. You should just get an Avic.
Here's a link to the Avicularia Gallery.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/browseimages.php?c=15&userid=
They're most sensitive as slings so you should probably get a juvie or sub adult. They need misting often, but don't flood the substrate.
Only Avic I am drawn to is the versi color.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Use eco earth substrate. Gravel is not good for them.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Use eco earth substrate. Gravel is not good for them.
I meant making a backdground out of gravel. You know gluing the gravel to the back of the terrarium? I dont personally like eco earth. Its an annoying substrate to deal with. It was messy, stuck to my hands. would rather use something-less sticky.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have used Waterfalls in the past. But only for large specimens. It can be tricky to use because running/flowing water creates massive humidity. Also you have to design it so it does not splash droplets around. It will stress out the T. As far as the sound of running water, the T will get used to it and it actually did not bother my L. parahybana.

Heres the latest i wrote about it. (pics in that thread)
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=186236&highlight=waterfall

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used Waterfalls in the past. But only for large specimens. It can be tricky to use because running/flowing water creates massive humidity. Also you have to design it so it does not splash droplets around. It will stress out the T. As far as the sound of running water, the T will get used to it and it actually did not bother my L. parahybana.

Heres the latest i wrote about it. (pics in that thread)
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=186236&highlight=waterfall
I was thinking I could use plexiglass to make a pool where the waterfall would be. Its not the waterfall you have in that thread. Its a kit that only gives you a linen, hydropebble thingies, and a pump(somewhat pointless kit?). But I figured I cou ld use it to make the terrarium look nice.