I think I finally figured it out

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks to you guys, and all your help and advice, I really think I figured out what my "mystery" tarantula is. H minax. The pictures and descriptions all fit. Sooo, to everyone who replied to my posts on this, thank yooou :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
You are very lucky if you have a true minax. There are a glut of H. sp. "longipedum" and H. sp "black" on the market. I would definitely send a molt to someone who could correctly identify the taxonomic anomalies of each species.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah I know I know. I am no expert in ID-ing T's, H minax is just the one I have found that resembles my T the most.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i hope your not trying to id your spider by pictures.while this can work with some species its not very reliable for haplopelma

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
plus haplopelma minax is a complete black spider,they have no tiger(chevrons) pattern on their abdomen,but there is alot of confusion with this genus,so you never know.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought that Haplopelma sp. "vietnam" is a different color form of minax? Luckily, I have the original. ;)

Edit: Oh, and it seems to be almost impossible to take good pictures of a true minax. So I definitely wouldn't ID it by pictures.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought that Haplopelma sp. "vietnam" is a different color form of minax? Luckily, I have the original. ;)

Edit: Oh, and it seems to be almost impossible to take good pictures of a true minax. So I definitely wouldn't ID it by pictures.
exactly, there is so much confusion w/them, it's hard to say what we really have{D plus minax hasn't been availible,from what i can see,only afew around here and there in collections.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I just honestly don't know anymore...
That's the smartest thing you've said.

Try and post an image... borrow a camera if you need to. This will allow us to give you a general ID. If it is in fact a Haplopelma, we can then direct you to more specific characters to look for, or the proper person(s) to send the molt to.

No offense, but with the questions you've been asking, there's no way you can accurately conclude what you have by looking at images online.

Eric

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they do have abdominal patterns during certain stages of there life
oh definitly, when mine was very small it didn't even look like what it is now,it had the pattern on the abdomen,it's body was brown,i had 2 and the male matured he was brown/pattern on abdomen,but when the female matured totaly different black w/no pattern what so ever,unless you put her in the sun you can see a very very faint stripe on the abdomen.i guess all haps have some sort of pattern here and there.some more striking than others.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My macho mode is turning on... Who has the biggest minax? Mine is 7"!

I'm so proud of her. {D