I think I bit off more than I can chew(EVIL OBT)

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
haha. hey everyone. I purchased my first OBT yesterday and she is a beauty. Well she gave me a threat posture and flared her fangs as I put her in her new home( as expected ). This morning I needed to give her a misting and to fill her water dish so I proceeded to do so in my living room where there is more space. As soon as I popped the lid open and began to spray I got a threat posture at no surprise to me. Next thing I know she is completely out of the enclosure and I am being chased. She didn't stop charging me for a good three feet the whole time holding her legs up a fangs completely out and dripping venom. By the time everything was said and done my hands where shaking from the adrenalin and my forceps where dripping venom. Definately my most exiting T. yet!:eek:
just thought I'd share. Let me know what you think

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Perhaps you misinterpreted the spider's intentions. I'm certain she just wanted to give you a big orange hug! :D

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my OBT's bone dry with a full waterdish. The misting probably created that reaction.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Typical OBT... Try the bathtub next time, and don't mist her. Fill the water dish only... but still be prepared for threat display. I have a couple that throw threats (my OBTs are still tiny slings) and I just fill their dishes through the top of the Kritter Keeper. Hope you got her cupped and back home safely.

Marga

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Let it settle in a few days before you try watering it.

I had to mist mine, which I did only one side a couple of times a week. The male webbed his bottle cap down into about 5" of substrate & web one night. I took it as a sign :D

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Sounds scary. I'm sure once it settles in and learns to realize you arent there to hurt the little guy/girl, it will most likely calm down.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i had a similar issue as niki and had to deal with misting mine for a while, before attempting a water dish retrival mission. she wasn't too keen on the misting, but i kept the spray as far away from her as possible, and didn't have much incident. i kept spraying until she finally settled down so i could get the dish in a safer manner... now nothing bothers her.

if you've got a water dish that it isn't overturning/filling/burying etc. just the water dish should suffice, unless you enjoy fangy orange hug offerings.

i'd say be happy yours is still feisty, but even i wouldn't particularly enjoy mine out and about even if it meant she had her 'tude back :p

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this feature is exactly why I love all 12 of my orange balls of fun. terribly exciting.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They don't learn we won't hurt them. OBT's just naturally have a bad attitude.
Unfortunately, you are wrong there are way more calm OBTs than defensive ones. I was able to find one that very defensive(would give me threat displays while sitting on my hand), but he recently matured and was given to someone with a female.

Art

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
My obt Pluto is a sweetheart. Never does anything to give herself the nasty orange bitey thing name. My cancerides is the devil incarnate on the other hand..........

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Isn't this why we love OBT's? Fiery balls of orange hate LOL. There will always be an OBT in my collection

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I "kinda" want one... Just don't know if I could deal with one constantly trying to eat me! Maybe one day I'll get over it and get me one

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Isn't this why we love OBT's? Fiery balls of orange hate LOL. There will always be an OBT in my collection
LOL im fixing to add one to mine i mean why not. They are beatiful,fast and from all accounts orange little demons lol. :D

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I used to think "those thing are the De-Vil" and never thought I'd get one... Now I have one and i'm obsessed with her! She's so cute and fiesty! She's never given ME a threat pose, but one time a cricket fell from the top of her hide onto her back... that was an awesome threat pose! {D I love my fluffy orange De-Vil!!!

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha. hey everyone. I purchased my first OBT yesterday and she is a beauty. Well she gave me a threat posture and flared her fangs as I put her in her new home( as expected ). This morning I needed to give her a misting and to fill her water dish so I proceeded to do so in my living room where there is more space. As soon as I popped the lid open and began to spray I got a threat posture at no surprise to me. Next thing I know she is completely out of the enclosure and I am being chased. She didn't stop charging me for a good three feet the whole time holding her legs up a fangs completely out and dripping venom. By the time everything was said and done my hands where shaking from the adrenalin and my forceps where dripping venom. Definately my most exiting T. yet!:eek:
just thought I'd share. Let me know what you think
{D{D{D Your account is riotously funny - and I'll bet it would have been even funnier to witness!!!
I don't have an OBT, but I do have a B vagans that THINKS he's an OBT! :eek:

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your T could escape before you had time to react, that tells me one of two things:
1) You're keeping it in an enclosure way too small, or
2) You were drunk. In which case, you'd have no business messing with the T anyway.

Hope you learned.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OBT fury!

Intense! One thing. You never mentioned how you got the OBT back into it's enclosure.