I Screwed Up (Versicolors won't eat

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Well, I don't know where to start. Oh, I know- my Avicularia Versicolor slings won't eat! Around 4 days ago, I got one of them to eat half a cricket in an ICU. The Versicolor slings have no trouble getting to the bottom of the container. Yet, they won't eat. Next, I can't get the crickets out of the containers. They are too small for me to fit my hand (or really anything) in and the containers themselves are made of glass. I'm still waiting on the vials :wall: . Anyways, I tried misting the containers for humidity and a ton of tiny droplets got all over the walls. My Ts won't even come near to the ground, the crickets jump off the webs, and I'm convinced that one Avic made the tunnel that it uses to get down too narrow. I made the situation even worse (look, I'm really tired) by tilting the container to get the crickets to go on the webs (wow, I failed) and the only thing that got stuck was the substrate. WAIT! There's even more! Now I have no more crickets. What do I do? I'm in a major situation.
P.S.
My Avicularia slings are 2nd instar and look around .75". They are fast and a bit defensive.

violentblossom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I don't know where to start. Oh, I know- my Avicularia Versicolor slings won't eat! Around 4 days ago, I got one of them to eat half a cricket in an ICU. The Versicolor slings have no trouble getting to the bottom of the container. Yet, they won't eat. Next, I can't get the crickets out of the containers. They are too small for me to fit my hand (or really anything) in and the containers themselves are made of glass. I'm still waiting on the vials :wall: . Anyways, I tried misting the containers for humidity and a ton of tiny droplets got all over the walls. My Ts won't even come near to the ground, the crickets jump off the webs, and I'm convinced that one Avic made the tunnel that it uses to get down too narrow. I made the situation even worse (look, I'm really tired) by tilting the container to get the crickets to go on the webs (wow, I failed) and the only thing that got stuck was the substrate. WAIT! There's even more! Now I have no more crickets. What do I do? I'm in a major situation.
P.S.
My Avicularia slings are 2nd instar and look around .75". They are fast and a bit defensive.
Okay, first off, have you stopped to consider that maybe they are all in premolt?

Second, don't worry about this "tunnel", your T's know what they're doing.

Third, why are the water droplets an issue?

Fourth, you can always buy more crickets.

Fifth, you should probably leave them alone a while, it sounds as if you're stressing them out tilting their enclosures.

Sixth, why was the sling in an ICU?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
First, oh. Erm...*cough* I, uh...oh, that's why their opisthosomas are...um...LOOK, IT'S A BIRD!!!

Second, that's a lot more comforting :) .

Third, I don't know. Can't Avics, like, slip or something?

Fourth, yeah.

Fifth, they're stressed out. I'm stressed out. My peacocks are stressed out. Stress :( .

Sixth, it's a long story.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The more you stress, the more they stress. Trick to keeping spiders alive is not to worry about them too much.

You might also find long tweezers useful.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I think that by stressing out to keep them healthy, is actually leading them to their graves. You're right. I should just back off for a while. Do I need to remove the food?

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that by stressing out to keep them healthy, is actually leading them to their graves. You're right. I should just back off for a while. Do I need to remove the food?
If in premolt, it's usually a good idea, but Avicularia species molt in their webs. I don't think it should be a huge problem if they're out of reach of the crickets. Better than tearing down their webs anyway.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
If in premolt, it's usually a good idea, but Avicularia species molt in their webs. I don't think it should be a huge problem if they're out of reach of the crickets. Better than tearing down their webs anyway.
Good idea. I'll just...leave them alone for a bit.What are some other symptoms of premolt?

My Versicolors are moving a lot, though. Is that normal for premolt?-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvrbSuuawhY

Last edited:

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good idea. I'll just...leave them alone for a bit.What are some other symptoms of premolt?
Lethargy. They'll be slower and their behavior becomes subtly different. You won't get the blatant darkening abdomen with Avicularia, so it's not the easiest thing to predict. Going off feed is probably the most indicative with spiders like this.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Lethargy. They'll be slower and their behavior becomes subtly different. You won't get the blatant darkening abdomen with Avicularia, so it's not the easiest thing to predict. Going off feed is probably the most indicative with spiders like this.
Then it's probably not premolt. They're moving a lot-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvrbSuuawhY
and one bolted when I put the cricket inside.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you just got them, you're worrying too much.
Let them get aclimated.
Also, I dont see a stick on the sides, usually a good idea for them...

re read the tkg?

mm..

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
you just got them, you're worrying too much.
Let them get aclimated.
Also, I dont see a stick on the sides, usually a good idea for them...

re read the tkg?

mm..
I read it over the Palm Springs break.
And why a stick? What type of stick? Anubis77 said I shouldn't disturb the webs (which are attached to the lids).

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, the one where he/she bolted (by the way, they are from the same batch) was, if I remember correctly, Sunday.
Those containers look pretty big, so it might just not have come across the cricket yet. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Doesn't look like the crickets could bother them.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Those containers look pretty big, so it might just not have come across the cricket yet. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Doesn't look like the crickets could bother them.
Ok, thanks. The container may look big, but most of it is glass. It's hard to explain.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can wait till they get aclimated better.
I find sticks helpful because it gives the spider to web up masterfully, and for crickets to explore and find their way up the container where the avic is.
keep them in a dark closet so you dont disturb them.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
You can wait till they get aclimated better.
I find sticks helpful because it gives the spider to web up masterfully, and for crickets to explore and find their way up the container where the avic is.
keep them in a dark closet so you dont disturb them.
I'll put a stick in once they "acclimate". Anyways, I'll put them in the empty part of my bookshelf. That'll keep my from the urge.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Id like to inform you that i got some sac mates here that i bought. They are eating some mealworms as i speak or type anyway. Your Ts may be in search of a place to hide. Looks like an huge open area of nothing up in the web. I have mine in small vials and they are in a shaded area. Your Ts need a place to feel comfortable during the day when there is light. Add a stick like said previosly and maybe some fake leaves for a hiding spot. Then you will see them hanging out in there hide. Dont disturb them and they will eat. Avic slings are shy eaters from my experience. Moving the cage will stress them out.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So you got some T's, congrats. Now what you need to do is set them up and leave them be. It's tough in the beginning, i understand that. But the best thing to do is give them time to get used to their new home. Next you gotta understand that your T's know exactly what they are doing. For feeding, put in the food and let it be, if it's not gone in a day take it out. If you only have the two spiders, look into buying a small thing of nymph dubia's. much better to deal with then crickets and easier to keep alive. outside of that just let them be and just sit there and watch them. they will slowly get used to the disturbances of you picking them up and moving them. mine are.