I saw a GIANT curly

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So i went to butterfly world a couple days ago (south floridaians know Im sure but if you dont its a bug museum) and I checked out their spider collection. Not much, just a rosie, a curly, and a L. parahybana. Heres the crazy part...The Curly has ENORMOUS! It was BIGGER than the parahybana. Its carapace was around the half dollar size, its abdomen was the size of a golfball. Legspan was probably at 7-7.5 inches. It looked VERY similar to a big chaco but with curly hair. Unfortunatly, I didnt have a camera with me but you can believe I'll be back to take pics.

I have never seen or heard of curlys getting this big. Anybody else have a big ol' lady?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, but my Slivara isn't that big. She is a good 5 3/4 inches though. She was an owner give up, and if what he told us is correct, she is in her teenage years. She is very beautiful and very calm. I have had her for almost a year now and she has moulted once. She is a wonderful T. We adore her, and she has changed several peoples minds about "mean" tarantulas.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
cool..thanks for posting about this. i didn't realize that place had spiders...i'll probably try to get down there sometime soon as its not very far from where i live. just found a $2 off coupon on their website too. :D i'll be sure to take pictures and post them in the zoo visit section.

did you speak with anyone that worked there about the spiders? i'd love to talk to the person or people in charge of the arachnids and maybe even get a behind the scenes look hah..regardless of if that happens or is even possible..should be fun.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
now johnny........did you put a saddle on that girl and ride her around like any arachnoperson would{D

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
now johnny........did you put a saddle on that girl and ride her around like any arachnoperson would{D
They wouldnt let me in the cage :(

I had my saddle with me tho, just in case, but the staff got confused when I asked to ride her. :D

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cool..thanks for posting about this. i didn't realize that place had spiders...i'll probably try to get down there sometime soon as its not very far from where i live. just found a $2 off coupon on their website too. :D i'll be sure to take pictures and post them in the zoo visit section.

did you speak with anyone that worked there about the spiders? i'd love to talk to the person or people in charge of the arachnids and maybe even get a behind the scenes look hah..regardless of if that happens or is even possible..should be fun.
No one I could find really knew much about the Ts. Honestly the setups werent great. They keep them in 2 foot tall hex cages with like 3 inches of substrate. But they seem settled and VERY well fed. The had some vinegaroons (One big one), a centipede, a bunch of AGB milis, some tailless whips, and some other assorted scorps. Another plus was that all the dead stuff in frames seem to have died naturally, not that baking in the sun crap. All the dead Ts were mature males.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
last time i went there was a few years back and all they had was a g. rosea. nice to know they have a few more. :}

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen one about that big i think maybe a little smaller - it was at the bts on show. also seen a huge a. versi.