I saved a T. blondi, hurray!

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was at my local Pet City a couple weeks ago, and I asked the guy in charge of reptiles if they ever got in any T.s other than rose hairs. He said that sometimes they get in stripe knees and red knees, and that they used to get goliath bird eaters in, but he could never get them to eat and they would always die on him. I asked if he kept the blondis on the same substarte they kept the rose hairs on (a thin layer of crushed tree bark.), and he said yeah why? I explained that blondis need a piss load of humidity, and that the bark wouldn't cut it, ideally they need to burrow, but since you have to display the animal just use a 3" layer of peat and mist it down every other week, and use straight water in the dish rather than the water gel cubes they had been using. I went back there yesterday to purchase a rosie and saw the juvenile blondi on the substrate I had suggested, the guy said thanks for the tip, that the spider had been eating and behaving more lively than the other's he had gotten. It feels good educating pet stores about proper T. care, everyone benefits from the experience.

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is great! I'm glad he listened to you, sometimes they don't. I like seeing a pet store at least try to take proper care of the animals. To bad they don't more often.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pet stores tend to listen when their livestock keeps dying and they can't figure out why. :)

hopefully the little guy/girl will be purchased by a responsible owner as well.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
whenever i buy a T from a local pet store, i always feel i'm saving it's life...:D

Herp_Hunter27

Arachnopeon
hey 138, you should not label all pet stores as places that do not take care of their animals. I actually know a bunch where i live where they take care fo their animals very well.