I really need to figure out how to sex these poekies

dykstra19

Arachnopeon
I have 10 poecilotheria's and I'm normally pretty good at Sexing T's. I know where the spermacae is but for some reason its hard to do w my poekies. I have a pederseni that is male for sure. Hes leggy, bland in color, small abdomen, and his pedipalps are bulbous. I have a couple though on their molts its too difficult to tell. Two of them where the spermache wasn't present on the molt are vibrant in color, growing fast and have large abdomens. So, from this pic can anyone tell what sex this t is?? i posted in the sexxing forum but got no replies.

Thanks so much

Attachments

dykstra19

Arachnopeon
I thought that also cause of the "slit". I'm happy shes a she but I should have been able to tell from the molt. I have another one that is identicle to this one also assuming female. so, how about this regalis???

Attachments

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Poecs in general are notoriously tricky to sex ventrally, particularly from a photo.
I have no hands on experience with peterseni but some, like regalis and rufilata, are fairly easy, while others like metallica and striata can be very difficult.

I want to say yours is female but that vague 'pointedness' in the center of the furrow gives me pause, almost looks like where the gonopore could be. Again, no clue with peterseni but if that was a striata I wouldn't put better than 60/40 on it being female.

At the moment I have a large number of juvie rufilata, most of which are very easy to sex at this size, yet some are sort of 'tweeners' that could go either way. As Joe said, nothing is 100% with ventral sexing (and even less so with poecs and still less from pics).

On the regalis pic, just not clear enough. Do you have a good dorsal shot showing the folio?

Bill

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's also better if those pictures are rotated 180 degrees, if possible.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As Joe said, nothing is 100% with ventral sexing (and even less so with poecs and still less from pics).

Bill
No, actually he believes it is 100% accurate. :rolleyes:
He was being sarcastic.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, actually he believes it is 100% accurate.
Nope, that's not what I said.

This is what I said:

Yeah, so as I said, Ventral sexing is not 100% accurate.
You're not listening.

I'm not saying that everyone who tries to ventrally sex a spider is right.

I'm not saying every spider can be ventrally sexed with 100% accuracy.

What I'm saying is that ventral sexing can be 100% accurate depending on species and individual experience.

This does not mean that every spider can be 100% ventrally sexed. What it DOES mean is that the blanket statement that you and redrumpslump have been pushing:

...but ventral sexing is never a 100% for sure.
Ventraly sexing T's is not accurate at 100%.
Yeah, so as I said, Ventral sexing is not 100% accurate.
Is not true.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, that's your deal. I don't know how to make it any more clear.
Continue this back in the thread it started in, Fran. Stop trying to carry it over to other threads.