i REALLY need help.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As I've posted before I have a great fear of roaches. I know it's stupid but I can't seem to tolarate anything roach related. Anyways heres my dilema if you guys take a look at my list of pets you'll see that I have actually have grown my collection from when I started last year(ish). I was breeding crix for a while and it was working out fine considering what I had to feed. Now I need a lot more feeders and with some of my scorpions having deep substrate I realize meal worms are out of the question. I'm actually considering breeding..ugh..roaches. But before I do that I want to know if you guys have any tips on any other feeders that vary in size to feed small scorpions,large scorpions, and a fast growning baby bearded dragon. If not then any tips for getting over my roach phobia would be appreciated too.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OK.

A varied diet for your reps and Inverts is not optional, it's essential. Period. However, you obviously need a solid base feeder, to which you can add from time to time, and that's where you really only have two major players - Crix or Roaches.

Almost everyone starts with Crix until expense, smell, noise, damage by Crix to pets, or a combination of the above, drive the enthusiast to look around for something else as a staple feeder.

Roaches are far easier to propagate, are not noisy, do not jump (though some fly and most scuttle), do not bite your pets, and are far cheaper to run. A downside is the fact that some emit a defensive odour - certainly not all of them - but simply avoid these when you do your research.

Overcoming fear

Wow, I have no Pyschology in Blattodeal Sciences degree, but IMO...

Fear stems from the unknown, right? So learn more about the various species (I breed 13 different colonies BTW) and which one has which characteristics. Soon you'll learn that the pestiferous species - yeah that's MY word but it's not copywritten! {D - are not necessary as a feeder, and that you're not going to get bitten when you handle roaches.

Most people that fear / feared roaches fear/feared the smaller ones most, because at least with the big ones, you can generally see where they are!

So, get a few G. portentosa (Madagascan Hissers) which are big and handleable, and let one walk onto your hand for a few moments, then shake it - gently - off. Repeat after a few minutes, or hours or days...as long as you willingly repeat the process. Feed them once a week and water them twice a week and a bond will grow...

Hope this helps. It certainly helped me, as I was also creeped out by what I believed were dirty little pests, but which are in fact incredibly clean. {D

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ifyou make it to one of the hikes that is based at my house you are more than welcome to play in my roach bins =P

i will give you enough N. cinerea (lobsters) or B. lateralis (turkistans) to get a small colony started. i can give you way more lobs than turks, due to colony sizes. lobs glass walk, turks don't.

i can also help to reprogram you. i used to be afraid of roaches now i love them :)

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks when's the next hike? I'll make that one for sure because the next few overtimes at my job are going to be optional.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it should be June 24th, but there is also the possiblity that the last saturday of the month we might be going to san diego.

not 100% on either one, though

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
okay well Let me know when we come to a conclusion. can't wait for the bbbq either.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Reading about roaches may help. Knowledge can help de-mystify something and make it less scary.