I Placed My T In An ICU

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:wall::wall::wall:
I just disturbed my versi while she was molting :wall: I didn't do it purposely, I was unaware she was molting until I removed the lid. Ever since I rehoused her in that jar, she has always webbed the top-to-lid. The one time I'm doing my daily rounds of maintenance is the one time where I encounter a molting accident. The web that was attached to the lid twisted, luckily she wasn't fully in it, but it disturbed her non-the-less and now she doesn't have 1 of her front legs that resides near the fangs -pedipalps (?)- (I need to familiarize myself with T anatomy). I saw the limb still twitching in the molt with "T blood" at the end of it. Nothing is leaking from her though.

I placed her in a small container with moist paper towels and a small water dish (top of a soda bottle). This is my first time doing such a thing. Did I do the right thing by placing her in an ICU?

tarantulagooroo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
was she still trying to molt? if so then probably not, if she flipped back over still probably not. An ICU is pretty much only to rehydrate a T.

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
was she still trying to molt? if so then probably not, if she flipped back over still probably not. An ICU is pretty much only to rehydrate a T.
Her molt was off. She stood laying on her side until I scooped her up to place her in the ICU. She tried to climb out.

I'm basically worried. I've never had anything like this happen to my Ts.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Her molt was off. She stood laying on her side until I scooped her up to place her in the ICU. She tried to climb out.

The ICU probably won't do any harm and it may do some good. It's okay.

Much more critical is the handling/manipulation that was required to get it into the ICU. Molting tarantulas, especially the very tiny ones, are so delicate that it's really easy to kill them with just a gentle touch. We humans are much too clumsy!

At this point leave it alone. If it survives (which it probably will) you can put it into a BETTER enclosure in the next day or two.

What would be a better enclosure? One that allows the tarantula to build its nest at the top (After all, it's what they do!) with you getting into it through the side or bottom.

You can perform a search using the <Search> link in the gray bar across the top of this page with these search terms to get all sorts of photos and ideas for such cages:

arboreal cage

arboreal tank

avicularia cage

avicularia tank

You'd better put on another pot of coffee. You've got a lot of reading to do! {D

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The ICU probably won't do any harm and it may do some good. It's okay.

Much more critical is the handling/manipulation that was required to get it into the ICU. Molting tarantulas, especially the very tiny ones, are so delicate that it's really easy to kill them with just a gentle touch. We humans are much too clumsy!

At this point leave it alone. If it survives (which it probably will) you can put it into a BETTER enclosure in the next day or two.

What would be a better enclosure? One that allows the tarantula to build its nest at the top (After all, it's what they do!) with you getting into it through the side or bottom.

You can perform a search using the <Search> link in the gray bar across the top of this page with these search terms to get all sorts of photos and ideas for such cages:

arboreal cage

arboreal tank

avicularia cage

avicularia tank

You'd better put on another pot of coffee. You've got a lot of reading to do! {D
Thanks! :D

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Seems you only need to worry about the blood loss. ICU should do the trick to keep it hydrated. As far as the pedipalp being stuck, dont worry your T was most likely stuck before you got to it. Just hope if it has to drop the leg it will do so without losing hemolymph. Hope it pulls through. :)

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great thing bout Arachnids - Limb Regeneration!

MMMmmmmm Versi's, MMMmmmmm Coffee, I like Pepperment Mocha Creamer in mine, while reading a favorite Tarantula Book, that I wish had more Pix in it, like some of mine :p {D

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No need for Icu in that case, totaly unnecessary. If its not dying from extreme dehydration there is no need for an icu.
Icu seems to be an Ab fenomenon and it seems many users put their spider in a icu for the slightest thing.

Good luck

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

If the molt was off, I would of just left her. I'm confused as to if she is stuck or has one pedi stuck or the molt is off.

No need for Icu in that case, totaly unnecessary. If its not dying from extreme dehydration there is no need for an icu.
Icu seems to be an Ab fenomenon and it seems many users put their spider in a icu for the slightest thing.

Good luck
I'm going to agree with Falk for once. I too think ICU is an AB default for any trouble with your spider like it is some magic healing box.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
now she doesn't have 1 of her front legs that resides near the fangs -pedipalps (?)- (I need to familiarize myself with T anatomy). I saw the limb still twitching in the molt with "T blood" at the end of it. Nothing is leaking from her though.
From the first post it appears that the T actually successfully dropped the leg in the molt. So, the T should be fine from that correct - since the T itself isn't bleeding?

In case the OP hasn't seen it yet - - T's can drop legs when it is absolutely necessary, and they'll grow back with future molts.